General discussion

Program that delete totally files from hard disk

Folks,

I would like to know if you have used a program that can delete all the files permanently from the hard disk, but it has to run from a floppy or run from a dos prompt.

I need this because I used many times other people PC's, so I can't install programs that write the registry every time on every PC.

I already tried sdelete from sysinternals and restoration, but the first one doesn't delete all the files and the second is very slow.

TIA for your advice.

Raul.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Program that delete totally files from hard disk
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Program that delete totally files from hard disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Active@ Kill Disk - Hard Drive Eraser

Downloaded the free version wich is probably as good as the Pro as far as accomplishing the goal. But turned out never needed to use it so can't vouch.

Any thing intended to entirely sanitize a HDD regardless the size is probably going to take a while as it would take up to 8 passes to to guarantee non-recoverability.

http://www.killdisk.com/

- Collapse -
killdisk works

I have used this utility to wipe a hard disk clean before junking it. It worked just fine. You need to supply DOS, which is present in Windows 98 as DOS 7. Clear instructions on how to format a flopply and have DOS installed are included. You then boot to flopply with Killdisk on it, and run from a DOS interface.

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks glennlee. Good to know.
- Collapse -
Spybot S&D might do it

It has a secure shredder tool in advanced, but I think you have to start the computer first.

CNET Forums

Forum Info