Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Program Sharing over a Home Network

by shawn10101010 / November 16, 2008 8:53 AM PST

I've got several PCs arround the house that I share movies, files and printers over Media Center and all. But how do I share a program? Let's say I have Office (just an example) installed on PC 1 and I want to access it on PC 2. Using my wireless router, how can I access this program from PC 2? They both run Vista Ultimate and I can go to the Public folders on each of the PCs. Some of my PCs are connected wirelessly and others with a networking cable. I tried making a shortcut to the Public folder but it won't work. Someone got an idea?

s10h10

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Program Sharing over a Home Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Program Sharing over a Home Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unlikely, Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 9:05 AM PST

In 1995 Microsoft introduced the registry, shared DLLs and much more so that you no longer find many softwares that run without installation on the host machine.

But let's pick on Office. Microsoft's version is LOCKED to the machines its installed on. So let's find PORTABLE OFFICE. Here it is -> http://portableapps.com/suite

For others we go looking...

Collapse -
Games
by shawn10101010 / November 16, 2008 11:45 AM PST
In reply to: Unlikely, Why?

Yeah, I installed Office 2007 on all my computers that was just an example. I was thinking more of Utilities or Games that take up lots of storage space. If I can somehow share these programs, I can free up lots of disk space on lots of computers. Of course, I would have to use the computers that are connected with a netowrk cable to prevent any lag that I experienced with Media Center over WiFi. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And is it legal to do that for such programs? I know Microsoft locked Office or something. I would think it would be legal because since I paid for the game or software and instead of using disk space on multiple computers, my idea is to only take up disk space on one computer. Or it doesn't work that way? Anyways, it all comes down to these two questions:

What programs can I share legally?
For these programs, HOW can I share them?

Collapse -
What programs can I share legally?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 9:55 PM PST
In reply to: Games

q. What programs can I share legally?
a. That would require a lawyer. I'm not...

q. For these programs, HOW can I share them?

a. As you discovered in 1995 a lot changed in how programs installed and ran. You asked about Office so I found a "Portable" version to replace the non-portable version.

As you may find, all the makers think disk space is cheap. They are right. Just last week a pair of 750GB drives were had for 70 US bucks each on a sale. The 99 buck 1TB drives are almost here. But look for portable versions of what you use.
Bob

Collapse -
Disk Space
by shawn10101010 / November 18, 2008 9:07 AM PST

I know dude disk space is cheap, 150$/TB in Canada. All I wanted to know is how I can share programs easily over a network cause I use lots of programs every day and installing them on every single computer would be such a pain; if I knew how to share them, with a program or something, it would make my life a lot easier as it would only take 15 minutes or so instead of installing programs for hours. Office was just an example and I didn't know it was "special" for sharing over a network until you told me.

I won't look for portable versions of my programs because my disk space is not my MAJOR concern, even though some of my programs are 3GB in size, I know I have to get more cause they're getting full. I only want to save time, lots of it. Besides, there isn't a portable version for Student, FOR EXAMPLE.

Thank-you very much, your help is greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Try using PORTABLE APPS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2008 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: Disk Space

The answer is 'no' to that question so let's plow ahead with apps that do run from the network, USB and such. Like this -> http://portableapps.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?