Computer Help forum

General discussion

Program Not Responding

It seems of late I have been getting "Program Not Responding" a LOT. I'm wondering what, in anything, in particular that may indicate.
I have a Dell desktop Dimension 2350. I have Windows XP Home Edition operating system'
Processing system is Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 2.20 GHz
Memory--256 MB.
Is there anything else I need to add in order to help diagnose potential problems???
Many thanks for any advice

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Program Not Responding
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Program Not Responding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
memory and processes

In reply to: Program Not Responding

Not enough of the first and too many of the second

Collapse -
program not responding

In reply to: memory and processes

Thank you to all for your advice. I do have Service Pac 2 and have updates.
Yesterday I downloaded Spybot and now am afraid I may have inadvertently damaged some programs and such. May not be related but this morning I was trying to read something and clicked on F11 to expand my page. Instead of expanding, my screen went blank. After that I could not get on to tehn internet at all via Google or Internet Explorer. I was via Firefox. When i tried via Explorer it would start to come on and then the screen would go blank. I used the undo feature of Spybot and it seems to be working better now but I don't dare uninstall the Spybot program in case there are things that still need to be restored. As an "added bonus" my system restore featire has not been working for quite some time.
Any comments would be welcome.
Mil

Collapse -
Any Particular Program?

And as mentioned above, the 256 MB is barely above to run the operating system.. Try added more, at least to 512 MB, preferably 1 GB or more and it should help..

In addition, since you didn't mention it, do you have Service Pack 2 installed on the computer and all Windows Updates as well? If not, please do..

Last, please click on the link below and follow ALL of the procedures to cleanup up the computer.. It may take a while to finish all the steps, but it should help substantially.

Cleanup Steps

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
any particular program

In reply to: Any Particular Program?

Hello: I did respond to your question about service pack 2 and updates ( I have both). I downloaded Spybot and am now worried about ossible damage. (Please see message 3 of 4). I e xplained how I wound up with a blank screen this morning.
Also...is my computer able to take an additonal one Gb of memory?????
thanks you for your indulgence
miller

Collapse -
My thoughts are...

1. It's an elder machine.

Tell me about your yearly cleaning of the insides, fan checks, etc.

2. I don't see what protection you use, what scanners, etc.

Let's start with http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

3. Windows can behave poorly if the disk cleanup hasn't been run.

Run disk cleanup and check off the Internet temp files too.

4. On item 3, you didn't tell much about disk space.

Bob

Collapse -
my thoughts...

In reply to: My thoughts are...

I have used the defrag and disc cleanup functions early in Feb.I have the Norton anti virus and firewall, the Windows Defender and CCleaner, all of which I use. I also have Ad-Aware but I cannot get it work properly. The inside of the tower has not been cleared for a few months.....
mil

Collapse -

In reply to: my thoughts...

Tell me about your yearly cleaning of the insides, fan checks, etc.

-> I didn't find a full response. Could a fan be dead?

2. I don't see what protection you use, what scanners, etc.
Let's start with http://www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan/

-> I see you have issues with Adaware. What about the online scan I noted?

3. Windows can behave poorly if the disk cleanup hasn't been run.
Run disk cleanup and check off the Internet temp files too.

-> You do run these.

4. On item 3, you didn't tell much about disk space.

-> I couldn't find in your reply a note or word about this.

Bob

Collapse -
here's more info

In reply to: 1. It's an elder machine.

The Dell is about five years old I think..and was cleaned inside a few months ago. (We used the canned compressed air ...I think thats 's what its called). Fan is OK.
I didn't get the recommended online scan to open. It indicated I should click on "yes" but that never came up.
I did a defrag and disc cleanup in early Feb.

As far as disc space available.....this is all I can find
Disc C- 74 per cent
Disc E- 98 per cent
Disc F- 97 per cent
thanks' mil

Collapse -
Then it comes down to this.

In reply to: here's more info

"I didn't get the recommended online scan to open. It indicated I should click on "yes" but that never came up."

That and your adware issues. Go get the MICRO SCANNER from that same site and run it as it will not require a browser. You can download it to CD, USB STICK on another machine if this one won't do it.

Bob

Collapse -
followed suggestion

In reply to: Then it comes down to this.

I downloaded as indicated and did the scan. I wound up eliminating alot of medium rish cookies etc. Hopefully the unit will work better.
Many thanks
mil

Collapse -
another problem

In reply to: followed suggestion

Wow..now my computer is really acting strange. When I try to open Internet Explorer or try to access the internet through my desktop Google icon it acts like it is going to access the internet but then the screen just goes totally white. I am able to get on the internet via Firefox, thank goodness.
Any suggestions??????
Mil

Collapse -
There are posts with issues with Google Desktop.

In reply to: another problem

Collapse -
log file?

In reply to: There are posts with issues with Google Desktop.

I apologize for my computer ignorance but I do not understand what a log file is.
Mil

Collapse -
Follow the yellow brick links.

In reply to: log file?

If you follow the link you find we don't do hijack logs. But you do find where they are done and what to do prior to post such as well as how to create such.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry

In reply to: Follow the yellow brick links.

I again apologize..I have no idea what a "hijack log" is.
Cheers
mil

Collapse -
Let me be more direct.

In reply to: Sorry

Did you follow the link above to the forums that do such?

If not, you wouldn't know what this is.

Collapse -
More then likely this is done. I see it is old

In a few words.....registry repair.

See this link:

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4.html?qt=registry+repair&tag=srch&tg=dl-20

A word of caution, "especially", since your restore points are out. These come with some risks. You should get one that has a feature that can revert any changes that it makes. Disclaimer......Use at your own risk. I have not used any of these I use this:

http://www.iolo.com/purchase.aspx

I use the professional version, it contain registry repair software.

This thread is untracked.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.