General discussion

Program list says "empty" and XP stops

I suddenly have a problem when XP stops running properly and the Program list says "empty" I have to reboot to get it back. Each time I'm using IE which also freezes. This happens after maybe 10 minutes to a hour. Any ideas?

If I have to re install XP do I have to reformat the HDD?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Program list says "empty" and XP stops
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Program list says "empty" and XP stops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try to not use IE.

What happens? That is, does this work if you use FIREFOX?

- Collapse -
Re: Program list says "empty"
- Collapse -
The link

Tried the suggestion on the link< regsvr32 /i shell32.dll > and it seems to have corrected the problem.

Thanks a lot.

Henry

- Collapse -
(NT) Henry, Glad it's fixed & Thanks for posting back.
- Collapse -
Spoke too soon!!!

It's still happening. Any other ideas anyone?

- Collapse -
Using IE could be the sign.

You didn't tell if you tried to avoid IE so let's get to the gritty part.

In preface, use google.com when you find a new word.

-> Remove all Addins and BHOs that you find in Internet Explorer. Repair as above then retest.
Bob

- Collapse -
Programs empty and crash

Thanks for the message. I actually use Mozzilla Firefox and avoid IE. My daughter uses MSN on the same computer and occasionally IE BUT the problem arises when I have Firefox up as well.

Whats a BHO?

Henry

- Collapse -
(NT) use google.com when you find a new word.

CNET Forums