General discussion

Program for Duplicates

I am looking for a program which searches for duplicate files. I tried 'Dupeless' which is very thorough and not shareware, but it is not always specific to the root of the files it finds, which means that removing the duplicates can, (and has) caused me to delete files needed. I am more concerned with items listed in Word, Notepad, etc. rather than 'left border.gif' files, etc. Perhaps it might be part of a general file manager program.
TIA.
Paul

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Program for Duplicates
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Program for Duplicates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: program for duplicate files

Paul,

Occasionally, I used the file utilities section of an old registry cleaner (jv16) that used to be freeware (but isn't anymore) for this purpose. But with a backup copy of my whole Windows folder and two copies of my Internet site on my hard disk it isn't practical anymore. I certainly can imagine circumstances where it is practical, but not for me at the moment.

Anyway, http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22duplicate+files%22+freeware seems to find quite a number of programs that you can try. But I can't recommend any from my own experience.

Kees

- Collapse -
Better...

too many file copies than too few file originals. Have used several such freewares and eventually every one has ruined my life.

Visit remove duplicate files freeware

If you use such recommend first creating a Restore point or other reliable backup. Some of these programs provide a backup feature. But I'd still suggest a separate Restore Point or backup.

- Collapse -
Kees and caktus

Your links do not work, possibly because free is imbedded somewhere in the URL. For some reasom this is banned in these forums. You will need to present then in plain text to be useful.

Frank

- Collapse -
Sorry bout that...here's a better way...

The key words "remove duplicate files freeware" will bring up the listing in Google.

- Collapse -
Better link.

It was the 'free' from freeware that misled the forum software. Just copy/paste this google search to the address bar of browser:
www.google.com/search?q=%22duplicate+files%22+freeware

A few notes:
- Some of the hits are from sites offering 'shareware and freeware'. So you you have to do some searching before finding real freeware for this task.
- You can also try to go the usual download site (like tucows or cnet's download.com or majorgeeks and find the file management software there.

Of course, use these tools with care. Only delete your own files; don't delete duplicates that come from Microsoft or so, because they might be needed.

Kees

- Collapse -
Some Softwarte Remap Files

After removing duplicate files, use a registry repair software to point to the remaining files. Norton SystemWorks and System mmchanic will do thiws, (but I don't recommend noreton since it slows down your comput3er too much.)

CNET Forums

Forum Info