Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Program Files - Gray Pane (hidden folders)

by Walt H / February 5, 2008 11:49 AM PST

In windows explorer when you click the folder Program Files the right side pane is gray due to hidden files. There's an option in that pane which says "show files", I clicked that and it displayed the hidden folders. How do I restore it as it was before? I tried tools>folder>view and ticked "do not show hidden files and folders" but it still shows the folders.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Program Files - Gray Pane (hidden folders)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Program Files - Gray Pane (hidden folders)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Sometimes you have to reboot...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 12:00 PM PST
Collapse -
rebooting...
by Walt H / February 5, 2008 12:18 PM PST

I tried changing the file attribute of the Progam Files folder ONLY (not the sub folders), when I reboot the Program Files folder is hidden. I changed the file attribute back to unhide.

Before I clicked the right side of the Gray Pane (show files) of Program Files the sub folders would display it's contents now when I click Program Files no more Gray Pane and it shows everyting. I'm just puzzeled as to how to get it back as it was before.

Collapse -
Reset the explorer views.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2008 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: rebooting...
Collapse -
Update...
by Walt H / February 5, 2008 12:40 PM PST
In reply to: rebooting...

Here's the REAL issue regarding the Program Files folder. Prior to my clicking "show contents of this folder" in the grayed out right payne, the FILES were hidden (NOT the folder). When I click on the Windows folder, the right hand payne is gray with the message "This fold contains files that keep your system working properly. You should not modify it's contents". Under this is "Show the contents of this folder" (which I clicked in the Program Files Folder to display the contents) Now I can't seem to get it (Program Files folder) back to it's original state (like the Windows Folder is).

Collapse -
Problem Solved....
by Walt H / February 5, 2008 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: Update...

Here's how I resolved the issue. In explorer view below the Help Menu and to the right of the Search tool, there is a FOLDERS section. I click on that and to the left is the option to "hide contents of this folder". It's now as it was originally.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.