Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Program Access and Computer Default

Hi,
I have noticed that I cannot change "Set Program Access and Computer Default" under "Custom". It always goes back to "Use my current media player" (or whatever it is). Is there a reason for this behaviour?
Thanks in advance,
Bo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Program Access and Computer Default
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Program Access and Computer Default
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I generally find

In reply to: Program Access and Computer Default

I generally find it's just easier to let the individual programs set up those associations. The whole reason the program you're talking about exists, is because Microsoft was found guilty of abusing it's monopoly market position. Of course the settlement phase didn't happen until after Clinton was out of office and Bush took over, so Microsoft got away with barely a slap on the wrist. Namely, they included that little program, buried quite deep so few people will ever find it, and it really doesn't do much of anything.

So the moral of the story is, just let the programs themselves fight it out for which one gets control of certain content.

Collapse -
"Use my current media player"...

In reply to: Program Access and Computer Default

That was worded to avoid confusion where some may think they are changing the default application, but can cause confusion itself. In short, if you set, say Windows Media Player, as your default player, it then becomes your 'current' (default) media player. Thus, you only need to select another application if you do not want the current default to remain the default.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
My settings are...

In reply to: "Use my current media player"...

Thanks everyone for the replies.
My settings are actually "ask me every time". Does this make any difference?
Bo

Collapse -
Default applications...

In reply to: My settings are...

There actually is a difference. The previous setting you referred to is more of a global change, setting a default media player for the most common file types. "Ask me every time," on the other hand, is an option for individual file types, which can override the previous setting. Thus, if you set Windows Media Player as your default media player and then change the settings for MP3 to "ask me every time," WMAs, WAVs, etc. will always open with Windows Media Player while MP3s will prompt.

John

Collapse -
I was wondering....

In reply to: Default applications...

Thanks, but I was wondering if "Ask me every time" in AutoPlay can cause the default application not to be set in "Set program access and computer defaults"... It could be, as "Ask every time" basically means no default application. I did try though to set QuickPlay in AutoPlay as the default application, then I went to "Set program access and computer defaults" and tried to set Windows Media Center as default application, and it still didn't do it.
The reason why I wanted to do this is that I have an HP laptop with a remote control that came with it. After updating Vista to SP1, the Windows Media Center button on the remote stopped working, and according to a thread I found, it should start working again by setting it as the Default application in "Set program access and computer defaults", but I can't do it. I tried with AutoPlay, and with AutoPlay it worked (I mean I could change the settings), but it didn't fix the problem with the remote.
Bo

Collapse -
Ah, AutoPlay...

In reply to: I was wondering....

"Set program access and computer defaults" refers to the default application based on file type. For instance, if you double-clicked a MP3 file, which application will load? AutoPlay, on the other hand, controls whether a CD/DVD is automatically explored/played/etc. when inserted and by what program. If the CD/DVD has already been inserted, or the content's on your hard drive or a network, you'll want to go Control Panel->Programs->Default Programs->Set Associations and change it for each specific file type.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I know, but

In reply to: Ah, AutoPlay...

Hi, thanks for the reply. I know the difference, but for some reason I can change the settings in AutoPlay, but not in the other one, no matter what I do.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.