Cameras forum

General discussion

Proffitt, Kodak cameras DO support PTP!

Hey Kodak emailed me back and this is what they told me today about their cameras and PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol):

"Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak Web site and question about connecting your KODAK EASYSHARE DX7590 Zoom Digital Camera.

We apologize greatly for the misinformation included in our last reply.

Actually, all of the Kodak cameras "look like a disk drive" after the drivers are installed. Our newer cameras happen to have a PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) driver installed, while the earlier models had proprietary and custom drivers for each individual camera. Some did share drivers based on hardware design platforms, but there were several. Primarily the versions were for KODAK DC210/210+/215 cameras, the KODAK DC240/280/DC3400 cameras, and the DC220/260/265 series. After that the DC4800 and DC290 and all of the EasyShare cameras, starting
with the DX3500 were PTP based and use the PTP stack from Kodak.

Please note that all of the PTP cameras can use the most recent version of the PTP stack that has been improved over time since the first version. Earlier cameras that used the proprietary stacks haven't had
an update in a very long time, and likely will not in the future.

We are glad to be of service and are here for you if you need us in the future. If you do, please include any previous e-mail.

Best Regards,

Keeley W.
Kodak Information and Technical Support"

NOW THEY TELL US!!!!!! But anyway, I got the Vosonic II today through Fed Ex and I got the 1GB memory card. I get over 600 pictures with the camera at 5MP -It's awesome! I'll let ya know how it works while I'm in France.

Thank you for ALL your help, Bob. You are the man!
YLC Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Proffitt, Kodak cameras DO support PTP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Proffitt, Kodak cameras DO support PTP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you'll see why I like that setup.

In reply to: Proffitt, Kodak cameras DO support PTP!

But first. I enjoyed reading "the earlier models had proprietary and custom drivers for each individual camera."

-> This "all over the road" protocol was hampering many advances in software and features for digital cameras.

That combination of camera and Vosonic has been very enjoyable on my last trips. No laptop to bootup, charge and worry about. It beats that other solution since it's less parts and cables to lug around.

Bob

Collapse -
KODAK 7630

In reply to: I think you'll see why I like that setup.

I intend to purchase the above Kodak 7630 digital camera from an online company in the USA. Is this a good camera and should I get it from the States, because it is cheaper. Thanks Alfred T.M. Kader

Collapse -
No. Get it in your country. Here's why.

In reply to: KODAK 7630

Many do such a purchase and grouse later about exorbitant repair costs and the company not honoring the warranty.

I think it's a bad idea to buy out of country in this case.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.