General discussion

Professional Standalone CD Recorder: Will 52x Discs Work?

Hello,
I have a Denon Professional DN-C550R CD recorder, manufactured in 2007, with a new "recordable/rewritable" drive installed in 2009. I realize that I can use "music" or "data" discs on this unit (has defeatable SCMS), but what speed? I have been using MAM-A (Mitsui) 1x-12x Digital Audio Gold (they are actually made for 'consumer recorders'), but I wanted to know if can use the Taiyo Yuden 52x Premium discs that I use for my computer. I used 52x speed CD-Rs when I first got this unit and I think that they may have had something to do with the C550Rs 'record' drive dying prematurely.
So, can I use 52x CD-Rs safely on this unit, even though it records at 1x or 2x?
By the way, does anyone know who manufactured the burn drive in this unit?
Thank you for your time,
Eric Holtz

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Professional Standalone CD Recorder: Will 52x Discs Work?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Professional Standalone CD Recorder: Will 52x Discs Work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
52X CDs

I would think that the machine could use those discs but the record speed would be limited to the max record speed allowed by the drive. I have an older Mac computer that has a 4X DVD record drive, and I can use blank DVDs rated at 16X. It doesn't record at 16X but it can still use the discs.

- Collapse -
I don't understand.

If the thing is dead, why not just get another recorder? They may not make that anymore. Have you check Denon?

- Collapse -
That Denon still for sale, but $$$

My choice would be a PC based CD/DVD drive since you gain more control over drive specs and quality not to mention the myriad of software options for less $$.

- Collapse -
Good question.

But the days of media causing drive burnout was noted in the years before 2000 (and before that by a lot.)

However I still encounter folk that will "fret" over things like this. The answer is that you may never be able to assuage their concerns even if you knew what happened during the early years of CD/DVD recording.

If simple advice won't work then you know that the best thing is to tell them what they want to hear when it won't be any worse or better.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info