Computer Help forum

General discussion

Professional help on anti-virus programs

I would like some feedback on some of these free anti-virus programs..I use to have Avg..it was fine a bit lazy..I had Avast..very aggressive it seemed everything in it's path was suspicious..I was wondering about Avira and what the responses to that program was.. I do believe there are viruses on this computer I just can't seem to find them..I run Ccleaner I have Superspyware clean out cookies, history, disk cleanup complete scan disk..and defrag..some things come up suspicously as if there is a virus..programs popping up for no apparent reason..if I click once it acts as if I clicked more then once..so I'm thinking something isn't right here..Does anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Professional help on anti-virus programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Professional help on anti-virus programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would suggest using Avira

In reply to: Professional help on anti-virus programs

and the following FREE Security/protection programs, ALL OF WHICH I USE, with the DOWNLOAD links included. They are all FREE, and I have NO connection of any sort to NONE of them, except as a happy user. .
The only thing I have paid for is the hardware router. Note: Anti-spyware programs complement each other. Thats because spyware definitions vary between anti-spyware programs. If you use multiple programs, you have a better chance of catching spyware

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:= http://www.malwarebytes.org

HOUSECALL from TRENDMICRO - FREE online Virus scan and repair = (Check the autoclean box) = ( IT IS OK TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE ANT-SPYWARE/MALWARE PROGRAM ENABLED AND RUNNIBG AT THE SAME TIME) = Download Here >>>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Download, install and update A

Collapse -
Personal Choices...

In reply to: Professional help on anti-virus programs

Since they're free, why not try them all to see which one you like.. I take care of a number of different computers and it seems that each user has their own likes and dislikes.. In addition, because of specific programs running on a computer, a program that works fine on one machine may not work fine on another.. Test them out..

And for a good list of the available security programs, the link below is a good start:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=238606&messageID=2432058

As to Avira, yes, it's a good program and I run it on a number of computers.. Unfortunately, as I stated above, some of those computers and their users don't like it.. One note about it; There is an advertising popup on the free version each time it updates. The popup is easy to close and there is a way to totally disable it using "Administrative Tools" or "Permissions" settings, but some don't like the general idea.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Personal Choices

In reply to: Personal Choices...

I just downloaded Avir I will see how this one works..I use to have AVG what I liked about the old AVG was that you can run it in safe mode..now they only let you do that in command mode..I also have a question for you. Since it's not possible right now to go out and buy a new CD burner I haven't used this one that much for it to shut down. Are there any other tricks to check out that maybe I can get it going...Seems when the computer had all that adware awhile ago..it messed up alot of things on here..and I'm not that computer literate anyways to be taking things apart. I was thinking maybe there is another way to fix this CD player..would you have any ideas..Thanks Alot...Vixey

Collapse -
Unfortunately, You Didn't Tell Us What Was Wrong...

In reply to: Personal Choices

...with the CD burner, or it's exact model, etc. What do you mean by it "shut down"? Just in case the malware caused registry issues or maybe you uinstalled the burner software, please try removing the "Upper and lower filters" using the instructions in the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Other than that, you'll need to give us more details about exactly what occured to the burner.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
CD Burner

In reply to: Unfortunately, You Didn't Tell Us What Was Wrong...

I'm sorry I forgot to tell you the problem..you are correct...I use to have avast and when I ran it for some reason it kept telling me I had warnings..I was thinking it was way to sensitive but what do I know about keeping what and disgarding others so I just let it do what it was suppose to do..Then I tried to use the CD player and now when I put a CD in it either to burn something or to look at pictures or music it goes in and the green light turns yellow and just blinks and then nothing else happens.. I really rarely use it anyways so I thought this to be odd that it was broken..something must have disabled it somewhere along the line..I have since taken Avast off an now I am using Avir..I am not up to par on what I should be taking off and avast seem to think everything was a virus..I just uninstalled it but I installed Avir. I did try to put the CD in again to see what happens..the green light is on but in seconds..it blinks yellow.. TY for your help...Can I ask what this Upper and lower filters are?

Collapse -
Upper/Lower Filters Are Registry Entries..

In reply to: CD Burner

..placed there by a number of things including CD burning software.. Uninstalling or installing such software can frequently leave random filters listed in the registry which cause the computer to "not see" the CD burner discs correctly..

Please try the suggestion to remove such.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Upper filters

In reply to: Unfortunately, You Didn't Tell Us What Was Wrong...

I followed the directions in the registry I got as far as UPPER FILTERS to delete ..and the only thing in the topic sections was the Lower filters showing..noting stating Upper Filter..

Collapse -
Then Delete The Lower Filters..

In reply to: Upper filters

Not all registries have both.. Frequently, only one is found.. Delete the one found.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
CD Player

In reply to: Then Delete The Lower Filters..

I deleted the Lower Filters and restarted the computer. I tried to use a CD and the the arrow and cd icon shows for 15 seconds then disappears and the light on the computer tower goes from green to blinking yellow..No message appears

Collapse -
The blinking yellow is a sign

In reply to: CD Player

That the drive can't recognize the CD or DVD. Try the last hurrahs of a CD/DVD LENS CLEANER then try a new drive.
Bob

Collapse -
Blinkin yellow sign

In reply to: The blinking yellow is a sign

Okay..I will try a CD cleaner..thanks for your help..Is it hard to put in a CD player?

Collapse -
Desktops = usually easy.

In reply to: Blinkin yellow sign

But shop for a DVDRW drive since these are 29 bucks at newegg and you don't want anything less.

Videos abound on changing such on youtube...

Collapse -
CD/DVD

In reply to: Desktops = usually easy.

New Egg is my weakness. I will try the cleaner then I will shop newegg to see what they have. I guess I need one that plays CD and DVDs and I can burn on ..is this what you mean?

Collapse -
(NT) Yes.

In reply to: CD/DVD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.