TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Proejection TV poor quality/Dish

by daveinhb / August 16, 2004 2:30 AM PDT

I have a brand new Hitachi 57 in projection. Hooked up with Dish & using SVHS cables, but picture is very grainy and digitized. I have 4 room package, and the cable run to my DVR/Projection box is quite long <+- 100 '>. I am guessing this may be the cuplrit. Can I add an in-line amplifier, or must I get Dish installer back out? Or any other ideas? I will test tonite and hook up to another set top box and compare pitures. Any input will be apprecitead.
PS- I have calibrated and adjusted over and over. Picture on DVD/Progressive is awesome, so its not a bad Tv.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Proejection TV poor quality/Dish
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Proejection TV poor quality/Dish
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Proejection TV poor quality/Dish
by colby71 / August 29, 2004 1:27 PM PDT

Hi - I just bought a Mitsubishi 62" DLP (62525) and have noticed terrible pictures with Dish Network using the DVR 522 receiver. I also have an HDTV receiver from Dish (811) and the picture is much better but not great. I also get blur and some digitizing. Did the amplifier work? I don't know if I should keep this tv or not, but I can't imagine goign through a whole football season watching it on this TV - especially after what I paid for it...

Collapse -
by sMoRTy71 / August 30, 2004 12:47 AM PDT

As Bob stated, it is basically a source issue, not a display issue. As you enlarge the image, you also magnify the flaws. The better your TV, the worse the picture appears for lower quality sources like satellite or cable.

Poor standard definition image quality is the biggest complaint that I hear from people who upgrade to big-screen HDTVs.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2004 10:55 PM PDT

It's pretty simple. The Sat Dish I've seen is a MPEG 1.5 encoding that will be fine as long as we don't put such on big screens that can render the issues you are noting.

They should offer or soon offer a HD Sat Dish network for a premium...

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.