Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Product Key Retrieval

I hava a system that has had the product key sticker stolen off the box by a former employee.

It wasn't noticed by the owner until now. It has a non booting hard drive. No safe mode either. However I can see the contents of the drive when plugging into my system as a extra drive.

If there a way to get the key from the registry of that drive.

Programs like keyfinder, only look at the current loaded OS and don't let you specify a different registry to look through.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Product Key Retrieval
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Product Key Retrieval
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Product Key Retrieval

In reply to: Product Key Retrieval

In this context, I'd save the data on a separate drive.

After that, I'd try the procedure that?s' described in the following MSKB article:

Q307545 - "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from Starting"

If after Part One you're able to boot, then use that utility to extract the key. Later, it's up to you to try the subsequent steps or install fresh windows XP.

Probable only the original XP author of that part might know how to find the key. The third party utility can read it using undocumented wmi calls in a working Windows XP.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
One more thing ?

In reply to: Re:Product Key Retrieval

If you decide to try the Part One, instead of booting from Recovery Console, just do the move/delete/copy those files using windows Explorer from your PC. Just attach the second hard drive as you did and perform the operations in the windows folder of the corrupted hard drive.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Thanks Cetin

In reply to: One more thing ?

I finaaly got one of the clone jobs I did to boot into safe mode. Got the key and then re-installed XP over itself.
All is working now. Don't know if it will stay that way.
I printed out the instructions you linked to, as that method will be much faster next time I need to do this.

Have has several in the past few months, although on those I had the product key, I just re-installed windows over itself.

Again, thanks.

Collapse -
You are welcome, Merl ... [nt]

In reply to: Thanks Cetin

Collapse -
Merl, a suggestion if I may?

In reply to: Thanks Cetin

This has saved my backside numerous times.

Make a simple WordPad document with ALL your product keys, serial numbers, etc. and save it to My Documents. Then print out a hard copy and keep it handy. You can also copy the file to a floppy, CD, etc., so you have a backup. Just repeat the last two steps when you add data to the file...

Collapse -

Hi Merl,
Every time I install a program with an activation key, or a licence key, I run Belarc Advisor. This lists all software, updates etc;, on the machine, with their licences. The results can be saved or printed out. Very useful, but keep the result hidden!
Roger

Collapse -

This isn't my machine, I have ALL of my keys.

I was just fixing their disaster.

But keeping all the keys printed in one place is a good idea.
Most of us can find the disks, but the keys, oh the keys, where are they? Happy

Collapse -
NT - Written with a magic marker on the disc.

In reply to: Re:Product Key Retrieval

Collapse -
Re: Product Key Retrieval

Try downloading belarc advisor, that should help

Collapse -
Do you ''think so''

In reply to: Re: Product Key Retrieval

It has a non booting hard drive.

Old thread goupe as well.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.