Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Product Key

by fren / September 18, 2004 9:27 AM PDT

Greetings!

How can I get or retrieve the Product Key Number of a computer.

WinXP

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Product Key
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Product Key
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Easy, just ask...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2004 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Product Key
Collapse -
Re: Easy, just ask...
by MKay / September 19, 2004 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy, just ask...

Thanks Bob, Now I took a screen pic and put a copy on file in my documents and in my email files for fast reference should I need it.

Collapse -
Re: Product Key
by glenn30 / September 18, 2004 9:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
by xcks / September 18, 2004 1:58 PM PDT

Press and hold these 2 keys

ctrl alt

then tap the s key

or simply put ->

ctrl alt s

Collapse -
by fren / September 18, 2004 6:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Product Key

Thanks to all of you!!!

I really wanted to know is how to retrieve the WinXP key in DOS, just in case my system crashed.

Thanks!

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 18, 2004 8:01 PM PDT

It is best to have a copy of the key number written down somewhere BEFORE a system crash. Most who receive a operating system CD will get a product key number with the CD. If you can't find it, use Belarc to retrive the information. It is a fast and easy way to have a record of what is installed on your computer. It also will show the product key numbers for all programs installed.

Collapse -
by fren / September 18, 2004 9:58 PM PDT

Thanks for your advice, glb613!!!

Sometimes I'll have to service our other pc, so I asked this inquiry just in case our pc needs servicing.

Any more ideas to solve this product key issue.

Thanks!

Collapse -
by glb613 / September 18, 2004 10:52 PM PDT

I've downloaded, run Belarc and printed out the information on every computer I own. I also have the original product key numbers stored with the operating system/restore CD(s). I thought everyone did this and was I wrong! I can't believe the number of people who can't find their CDs let alone the product key number. You can be proactive and organized now or suffer the consequences later. And if you don't, it can be very expensive if something goes wrong. How you approach this is up to you. Good luck.

Collapse -
by fren / September 19, 2004 7:49 AM PDT

Ok, thanks for your advice. From now on, I'll start getting or retrieving the product keys of our pc.

Again, thanks!

Collapse -
The easiest approach for multiple PCs (IMHO) is...
by FrankQTran / September 19, 2004 12:00 AM PDT

1. Go to this site http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml and download the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (small program, it's less than 7K)
2. Extract/copy it to your floppy
3. During booting of the WinXP machine, press "F8" key then select "Safe Mode Boot with Command Prompt"
4. Upon the completion of WinXP Safe Mode Load, put the floppy conatining the KeyFinder.exe
5. Type in A:\KeyFinder then press the "ENTER" key. You should see the Windows ProductKey displayed

Notes: You can also copy the program from floppy into the C:\ root and execute from there

Regards,

Collapse -
Addendum...
by FrankQTran / September 19, 2004 12:10 AM PDT

Typo error...

the KeyFinder.exe should be read as less than 300K (257K)

Regards,

Collapse -
Re: Addendum...
by fren / September 19, 2004 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Addendum...

Thanks for your advice, FrankQTran!!

Ok, I'll go there and download it. I'll also try the KeyFinder.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?