Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Product ID on label doesn't work

Hello, I was given a laptop at work and asked to reload Windows XP on it. The CD that came with the computer isn't available, but I have one of my own.

Details:
Laptop is custom-built by a place called PCS
The label is for Windows XP Professional (it's an OEM label)
My Windows disc is for Windows XP Professional SP2
I got the disc from school for free - it was on a burned CD-R, and I guess they gave me a volume license?

My plan was to run the installation with my disc, and then use the Product ID from the laptop, to keep things legit.
Problem is, no matter repeated checking of the label and typed key, I kept getting the message that I had typed an invalid key.

Do I need the disc that came with the laptop to use its own key?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide!
(And if I need to give any more details, just ask)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Product ID on label doesn't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Product ID on label doesn't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some questions for you.

In reply to: Product ID on label doesn't work

Tell us more about this laptop. You said you were given it at work, and you were asked to reload XP.

Who asked you to reload XP? If work did, then why didn't they give you the tools for the job, eg a valid retail XP CD?

What was wrong with the Windows already installed on the machine?

You said you got the XP disk from school, and it was on a burned CD-R. XP doesn't normally come from a copied CD, so are you sure this isn't a pirated copy?

Work/School? Are you at work, or at school, or both? I do not wish to pry, but it might help others to understand the situation.

When you tried to enter the Product ID, did the screen give you a telephone number to call Microsoft in case of any difficulty? It's a free toll number, and they usually are able to help in genuine cases.

Mark

Collapse -
reply to questions

In reply to: Some questions for you.

MARK'S QUESTIONS:
Work asked me to reload XP.
There is a closet full of XP CDs and other misc. software (for all the workstations at the office, that I figured I would save time looking through by just using my CD, so it's possible that its OEM CD is in there somewhere.
The previous install of XP had several trojans and a quite annoying adware popup program I couldn't find. I suppose I could have run several more malware programs, but in the interest of time, I assumed it would be easier just to start from a fresh slate.
I don't THINK this is a pirated copy ... at least, I would hope my school is above such practices. Plus, when I originally installed it, it activated without problem. Of course, as I upgraded hardware and replaced computers, I had to call MS to tell them I got a new computer, which they then accepted and allowed me to activate it.
I'm currently at home (and was when I was attempting to load the machine), though I recently graduated from school, and still work.
I didn't notice a telephone number, but there may have been one. I was on the original screen where it's not finished installing, but it asks for the Product ID, just in case the installer can't provide it.
I'll run the install again and see if there's a phone number listed.

KEES' COMMENTS:
I was afraid that might be the case (CD not recognize OEM key), but I wasn't sure, so I figured I would ask.
I'll check out that closet and see if I can find the CD.

Collapse -
It's not unlikely ...

In reply to: Product ID on label doesn't work

that an OEM license key won't be accept by another version of XP, be it a retail copy or a volume license copy.

Two possibilities now:
1. Back to your work, and get the original OEM CD to make your laptop more than a paperweight.
2. Buy a retail or OEM copy of XP that comes with it's own license key.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.