Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Processors

by Oatz / August 14, 2007 6:30 AM PDT

I asked about processors then realized I was in the wrong place so I`ll try again. I`m wanting a new computer and although I surf the net some mostly I play games but only single player. Would I be wasting money buying a computer with more than a 2.40mhz processor. Would that be enough to play the most recent games?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Processors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Processors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For most..
by jackintucson / August 14, 2007 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Processors

recent games a 2.4 will do fine, but your video card(s) are going to be as, if not more, important as the processor. Find a system with at least 2 PCIe slots. This way you can expand on your video capabilities. There are many other factors that go with performance but these are the top two. Core 2 Duo systems are very reasonable now. Good Luck and enjoy!! Happy

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Leave yourself a little room to grow.
by VAPCMD / August 14, 2007 10:16 AM PDT

Right now that CPU might be OK....but in a few weeks, or months you may discover another use or interest requring more CPU. If the 2.4GHz CPU is OK...how much more is the next faster one. If within reason and the budget...go for it.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
room to grow
by Oatz / August 15, 2007 3:57 AM PDT

Thanks to you two for answering such a dumb question. Just to let you know I`m going with 3.20ghz overclocked. That should do it.

Collapse -
Well..
by ozos / August 15, 2007 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: room to grow

I wouldn't go with a factory overclocked system, for a few reasons, the primary one being that it shortens the life of the system compared to a stock CPU.

Also, CPU type matters quite a bit, the clock speed means more or less nothing.

I'd look at a Core 2 Quad based system, which should give you more than enough CPU power and allow for future expandability.

Collapse -
Processer isn't everything
by gameplayer2011 / August 20, 2007 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Well..

RAM can be just as important as your processer. go with at least 2GB if you can aford it.

Collapse -
Some suggestions
by Dango517 / August 25, 2007 6:46 PM PDT

With the new dual processors 2GB of RAM memory is recommended. Also, if you can get a mother board that you can up grade the CPU on in few years that would be great. Most new computers come with chip set GPUs, a PCIe graphics card might be in your future. DirectX 10 is only available with Vista for now. Vista systems can run an Xbox 360 game controllers (I just heard this the other day. Not really sure about this one). An advanced ethernet adapter wouldn't hurt, for around $30.00 (US), wired or wireless. All items but the Motherboard can be bought later.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.