PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Processor Upgrade......

Ok.... I have a ECS K7S5A MoBo and i'm currently using AMD Athlon XP 1700+ ... Thing is, i just bought a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.16GHz 333FSB 512KB Processor.. Before i purchased it i didn't think to goto www.amd.com to see if my MoBo supported it because i figured since it runs my currently processor on it without a problem, it would run that one good too.. But now it should arrive Monday at my doorstep and i'm looking forward to installing it on my system but, i just visited www.amd.com and i looked up the "Recommended" MotherBoards for the AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.16GHz 333FSB 512KB and mine wasn't listed. So, just because it isn't recommended by them, does this mean it won't work on my System? Or should it fit in and run ok? If you know anything about this please respond.. thank you. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Processor Upgrade......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Processor Upgrade......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Biggest proc for your mobo is XP2600

In reply to: Processor Upgrade......

Collapse -
Check with...

IMHO, you did this backwards. You should have visited the mtrbd. support website. Look up your model and find the latest info on what your mtrbd. can support. Plus, I'm sure the ideal woeding is support for "socket-A" type fro AMD cpus. Newer models support, if correct 572-pin cpus but yours is 478-pin also known as socket-A. Verify it all and see if your new cpu is listed.

congrats '05 -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Are you using PC 100 or PC 133

memory?? If so;

Even if the CPU runs it ain't gonna run very much faster than the present.

It'll need DDR PC2700 [DDR 333] memory to run at 333 MHz FSB, which your mobo doesn't support.

Collapse -
As already mentioned..........

In reply to: Are you using PC 100 or PC 133

The board you have only supports 2600 (if you have the very latest version). Otherwise. only 2400. I had one for several years, but changed and got an XP3000+. Look at it as a chance to upgrade (hope you have the money). I got a Shuttle AN35N Ultra. Has most of the features you might want for a reasonable price. Not fancy, but reliable. chuck

Collapse -
oh..

In reply to: As already mentioned..........

What kind of Ram Would i Use for that type of motherboard? and i get confused because i currently use 1024 SDRAM PC133.... which is 2 Ram sticks of 512MB SDRAM obviously, but i see just by looking at the newer motherboards.. they won't support my ram.. so how do i know which RAM is the one to get? Also i never put together a computer before but i know a few basic parts and it doesn't look so difficult, but would i need a new case to support this kind of motherboard? Also with installing a new case is there any software i need to re-install such as XP or anything else? I'm actually looking into AMD Athlon 64 but i am so unfamiliar with Cases/Motherboards/Ram/Processors to put it together myself... but that is the cheapest way to go so i'll take my chances... but anyways, to get something like AMD 64 i'm guessing i need to get everything new? Like Ram/Case/MoBo correct? I could buy all these parts but i just don't want to buy the wrong ones. thanks.

Collapse -
If yuou go to the 64 Bit AMD

In reply to: oh..

CPU get a socket 939 type amd mobo. That CPU will use only DDR memory. You'll want to use Dual Channel mode, so buy the memory in pairs [save a buck or two also]

Due to the fact that the MCH for the AMD 64 bitters is in the CPU, they won't be going to DDR2, so it will use DDR so buy a pair of PC 3200 [DDR 400} memory sticks for it.

You'll also want a better power supply. New case may or may not be required, depends on what you have.

If you buy a new case, IMO buy one sans power supply and buy a good supply separately. Many times, the supply that comes with the case is a low bid item.

When selecting a mobo, realize that it will likely have PCI Express slots PCI X1 for cards and PCI X16 for video card. Some will still have the AGP video card slot, so look carefully. If you already have a video card that you are happuy with make certain that you get a mobo that has the AGP slot.

I always buy a case with a top exhaust fan and a side fan. It sure makes cooling a breeze [pun intended]. I also add a rear exhaust fan and a front intake fan if none come with the case.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.