Desktops forum

General discussion

processor sweet spot recommendation

I'm looking to buy a new desktop computer and I'm on a budget. I am not up on the latest processor technology but would be interested to know what is the best bang for the buck in processors. I'm not into gaming or photo editing, just typical PC applications and web surfing. I plan to go to Vista so I want to make sure I get a decent enough machine to handle it.
So is there a sweet spot($)in processors that I should look for in a desktop.
Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: processor sweet spot recommendation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: processor sweet spot recommendation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My target

In reply to: processor sweet spot recommendation

If purchasing a new desktop today, I'd start with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.

Entry level CPU is the E6300 (2MB L2 cache). The E6600 fits my definition of a CPU sweetspot (4MB L2 cache). It is the cheapest with 4MB cache, which translates into a nice performance bump. Spending more money on the offered faster clock speeds doesn't give as much a performance bump.

Check the CPU CHARTS at TomsHardware.com for performance scores.

Now, tomorrow the sweetspot will be....

Collapse -
processor is only part of the equation

unless you're going to build the pc yourself, a specific cpu alone does not guarantee you'll get a pc suitable for you use.

still, since it seems you just want a good entry-level general-purpose pc, make sure it includes a dual-core processor (athlon x2, pentium d, or core 2 duo). the price differential between them and a single-core processor is minimal. also, avoid sempron or celeron cpus which are cut-back (some would say crippled) versions of other cpus. the extra $100 (perhaps even less) for an entry-level dual-core is well worth the money.

Collapse -
Intel C2D E6300 is about as sweet as is gets for now

See Tomshardware.com for CPU performance comparison.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.