PC Hardware forum

General discussion

processor problem?

by dan31623 / May 27, 2008 6:09 AM PDT

Hi, i recently fixed an old computer of mine ans re-installed xp and networked it to my main pc but i went to play on a online gaming site (king.com) and the games were really slow. is this because of my pcu not being good enough or some other problem? its only a intel celeron 1.8ghz. the pc is a packard bell imedia 5043. should i try and download vidio driver updates? any help would be great thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: processor problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: processor problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well Dan, Dan here. We keep bumping into to each other.
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: processor problem?

Anyway, you haven't provided an OS. That would help. So I'll make a guess and choose XP.

Add RAM this will give you a big performance boost if your not maximized already. For older PC it's very cheap.

See this link:

Run the scan.

See link from the source:

Other stuff:

Video games are the most advanced thing you can do with a PC so you need the most advanced PC you can afford to do them well. Keep your expectations low with a Celeron era PC.

Collapse -
yeah we do....
by dan31623 / May 28, 2008 12:52 AM PDT

i did say that i had re-installed xp! lol nevermind. i tried building another pc that i have but i broke the cmos battery shoulder and one was already missing anyway and the vga connections dodgy too as well. its got an intel pentium 2, is that older than celeron? lol im still learning about pcu's as you can tell. i was thinking of getting a new motherboard for that one if it would be worth it? i upgraded the ram from 32mb to 2 x 128mb's sdram and got a space for another. its a dell optiplex flat case one. im not sure of the model i can try and find out if it helps and the motherboard model. thanx Dan.

Collapse -
livin in the 90s
by squirtlewa / May 28, 2008 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah we do....

256 MB for RAM is low for XP.

Pentium 2 was old even last century. I think it was replaced in '98 or '99 with P III (which was replaced by P-4, then P-D, etc).

So you're working with some components that are outdated. If it's not working for you, update IS an option. But scrapping it and starting anew may be a better option, honestly.

Collapse -
by dan31623 / May 28, 2008 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: livin in the 90s

i think i've been spoilt with my other pc being a quadcore and expecting this to perform as good as that one but thats just silly! yeah they are old! lol so im definetly just gonna buy a new one for sure. just a low end one and start from there. thanx for the advice.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?