PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Processor Problem

First off, let me say that I know very little about hardware...I'm more of a software guy. That being said, a few days ago, I built this new PC:

Chaintech V915P Mobo
GeForce 6200 256mb video card
1gb 3200 Corsair Ram
120gb Western Digital HD w/ 8mb cache
Intel 3.0ghz Processor 1mb cache (Socket 775)

The processor is the problem I am concerned about. it's running at 60C at idle. i have 2 80mm case fans in it. But I'm going to be adding more. I would like to know how I would go about cooling it down. Just looking for suggestions. I'm thinking I might try a third party heat sink, right now I'm using Intel's.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Processor Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Processor Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Usually...

In reply to: Processor Problem

It's just a basic airflow problem. Try it with the case cover off before you add more fans.

Another recurring issue are power supplies that are taxed to the limit. You'll want the 450Watt or larger PSU. Tax that PSU and it generates more heat as well.

Bob

Collapse -
PSU

In reply to: Usually...

Sorry, I should have mentioned it...I am using a 500W PSU

And I have tried it with the side off, it doesn't drop much, maybe a degree or 2

Collapse -
At just a degree or two, More fans will get you just that.

In reply to: PSU

In other words, don't add fans yet.

Bob

Collapse -
different Heatsink

In reply to: At just a degree or two, More fans will get you just that.

so i'm wondering if I should try a different heat sink

Collapse -
There are many to choose from, but first...

In reply to: different Heatsink

Since 60C is in spec, why do this?

Collapse -
60C is in spec

In reply to: There are many to choose from, but first...

BUT...I do a lot of processor intensive tasks with my computer such as 3D animation. and I found today, just running a simple tutorial with a quicktime video embedded in it, the processor shot up to 68C. And in a couple cases, the program even crashed.

Collapse -
If the cover is on, maybe you

In reply to: 60C is in spec

could use another case fan. Remember that both the video card, and possibly the memory will also get hotter and increase the interior ambient air temp around the CPU's HSF. Intel says [for their HSF] that holding the ambient by the HSF 38 C [100F] or below will keep the CPU in spec. Howevwer that is about what you are getting. Try to get the air in the vicinity of the HSF about 33 C [91 F].

Collapse -
P4 530

In reply to: If the cover is on, maybe you

a friend of mine just informed me that he found out that the P4 530 (the one I'm using) requires a BIOS update, and in fact the temperature showing is wrong.

Does anyone happen to know where I would find this update?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I'd start at the Chaintech web site.

In reply to: P4 530

Collapse -
Re: P4 530 - RETRACTION

In reply to: P4 530

Apparently I was mistaken about the update and the CPU Temps...it's still showing 60C

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: Processor Problem

Thanks for the suggestions

Collapse -
Um.............

In reply to: Thanks

Maybe find a mod shop in your area and pick up a tube of Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. The stock thermal pad on a P4 heatsink is........well lets just say it's not Arctic Silver. Trust me I've done the experiments.

Collapse -
Stock pad...

In reply to: Um.............

I'm not using the stock pad anymore...I was thinking about that too, I took the fan off and cleaned all that off, right to the copper and then added some OCZ Silver Compound...that's what's on there now

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Stock pad...

Well My P4 560 runs at 50 degree Celcius at idle and running graphics intensive, can rise up to 67 degrees. But idle at 60, wow that's hot. Advice, get 2 fans in the rear if possible, 2 fans in the front, 1 on the top, and 1 on the side and get a better heatsink/fan, with maybe a PCI fan cooler. Guarnteed temp drop.
Roger

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!