Question

Processor Making Weird Sound

I've just replaced my CPU's PSU with a new 500W PSU from a 300W PSU. The thing now is it makes this chainy, crickety chirping sound when the Processor is on load (e.g. scrolling a window, running a program) The noise seem to get louder as the load gets higher.

I've checked all the fans (Processor, Casing, PSU) and none of them was the culprit. The noise however was coming from somewhere in the Processor area. It never used to make this sound with the 300W. It just started after I upgraded my PSU.

P4 2.4 GHz
512 MB DDR
Asus Mobo
Onboard GPU
80 Gig Seagate HDD
Generic 500W PSU

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Processor Making Weird Sound
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Processor Making Weird Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is it from the speakers?

And while you were in there, did you clean and get the dust out?

Sadly I'm finding desktop machines to be far from silent. And new noises do upset many owners but the sound you write about is not described in a way that would cause me concern about an impending failure.
Bob

- Collapse -
Not from speakers

Yes, I've cleaned out my CPU before placing the new PSU. Taking the whole thing apart and vacuuming everything out.

You can hear the noise with your bare ears. It's sort of a high pitched cricket chirping like sound that's very noticable when you move the mouse around, scroll, refresh the desktop, just basically when the processor is onload.

- Collapse -
Noise sources.
- Collapse -
Should I be concerned?

Is it gonna lead to a major problem? Or is it safe to just let it be?

- Collapse -
Eventually all gear dies.

Buzzing coils are pretty easy to take care of but then again I'm dating myself by revealing I wound coils and more.
Bob

CNET Forums