Question

Processor Comparisons

So I am probably going to end up buying a new desktop tower soon since my current PC is getting sicker by the day (already addressed that issue on another thread)

My question with this thread is about processor performance. I did try to get the info online, but being a non techie I wasn't quite sure what I was reading half the time.

My question to you all is-does anyone have any opinions on the processors below? (I listed the PCs containing the processors in parenthesis) My PC use is mainly word processing, internet browsing, and social media.

1) Intel Celeron (eMachines)
2) AMD Athlon ll X2 (eMachines, Compaq)
3) AMD E Series (Compaq)
4) Intel Pentium (HP)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Processor Comparisons
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Processor Comparisons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is there any model numbers?

Sorry but I can't write much but to rank them from what I'd try first to last given such a limited view on the models.

1 Intel Pentium (2011 models.)
2. Celerons.
3. AMD series. (either.)

Hope this helps.
Bob

- Collapse -
models?

Did you want the models of the pc's? Or is it more specific processor info you need. If that is the case I will have to do some investigation's into each PC. Let me know what info is helpful for.

This is the link to the PC's at Best Buy that I am looking at purchasing. From eMachines EL1850 ($299.00) to HPS5 1010 ($349.99)
"http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-8921651262876814004&id=pcmcat212600050008&type=category&usc=abcat0500000&cp=1&sp=%2Bcurrentprice+skuid&nrp=15&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031~~cabcat0500000%23%230%23%232g0~~cabcat0501000%23%230%23%232e~~ncpcmcat212600050008%23%230%23%231&add_to_pkg=false&pagetype=listing"

- Collapse -
"Sorry, the page you requested was not found."

Picking a machine based solely on the CPU is, well, unusual.

And it seems it would have been easy enough to add models to your first post rather than hide all the good info.
Bob

- Collapse -
did not intend to hide the good info :)

As a tech neophyte I was unsure as to which info would be most helpful to those who responded to my request for feedback. But now that all the info is there, do you have any opinions on my PC choices? If they are all pretty much comparable to one another then I will just go for the least expensive.

- Collapse -
The link you provided is a dead one.

Try simple. Add a reply to your top post with the make and model numbers. Given only the info supplied so far I can only give a short list of the order I would pick given such limited detail.
Bob

- Collapse -
think I can make decision on my own

The only differences with the pc's I looked at were HDD capacity, memory capacity, and cpu. Since CPU choice does not seem to be important, I'll have to decide what capacity HDD and how much memory I want. I can do that on my own.
If you just happen to be curious and want to see the pc's I looked at, go to Best Buy and search under computer towers form lowest price to highest price. The first seven listed, $300-$350, are the ones I looked at.

CNET Forums