PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Processor (celeron) worried question..!!

Hello, I just bought a notebook with that being its processor, and now am having some serious second thoughts.

I know that the Celeron is for the "budget" users, and does not hold up too good when compared to the Pentium M.

My question is, the Celeron M Processor
is 1.50GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB

and the Pentium M Processor 730 is
1.60 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB

To me it looks like its just a small difference. I mean, its just a .1 difference for the # of Ghz, and 1 MB for the Cache, etc.

What do these numbers mean anyway? Can somebody explain it relatively? Would a .1 difference in Ghz be that big?

If it would help, I'll be using my notebook for lots of multitasking, but just between word documents, internet, playing mp3's and small videos. I wont edit videos on it or anything, but will want to watch DVD's and download music. And for gaming, just want to play Sims 2.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Processor (celeron) worried question..!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Processor (celeron) worried question..!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oops

In reply to: Processor (celeron) worried question..!!

oops, the processor I got with my notebook being the ''Celeron M 370'' one Happy

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: Processor (celeron) worried question..!!

The cache and fsb is different. The cache won't make much of a diff. As for the fsb speed, it determines your multiplier, which determines your clock speed. So 1.5 won't make much of a difference to 1.6. Usually if you customize a notebook, you can upgrade to a 1.6 for little $$$. The main difference is the features. The 370 lacks certain features that the Pentium M comes with. BTW, good luck playing sims 2, i believe you need a direct x 9.0c compatible gfx card. Now the gma 900, which proabbly comes with your system supports it i think, but ppl had problems with it.
ROger

Collapse -
um

In reply to: RE:

The system that I got was the based system of the Dell Inspiron 6000, but I just upgraded the processor from the Celeron 350 to the 370.

Now I know I should've bought the more expensive one, but hey.

Alright, so what other features does the Pentium have that the Celeron doesn't?

Collapse -
I really don't want to answer that, sorry...

In reply to: um

There's a website called google. You can search for the answer to your question there... But as you've already in grief, i'll answer it for you.
The main difference is enhanced speedstep which is only for centrino systems (not actually confined to that as it has migrated to desktops).

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep

Collapse -
sigh

In reply to: I really don't want to answer that, sorry...

Although I tried to understand that as much as I could, I generally got the idea.

Oh geeez, I should've just shelled out a $100 more just to get a Pentium M (you think?).

Alright, alright, thank you very much.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!