Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Processes running in Task Manager flicker

by jbw2 / December 9, 2004 1:38 AM PST

When I bring up task manager and click on a process to select it, it constantly flickers. This has been happening for about a month. Also explorer.exe has been using lots of cpu's when accesing folders and files making it very slow opening. Occasionally a low grinding noise on computer. Run norton, adaware, spybot, no viruses. Have spysweeper program. Finds no viruses. Any suggestions and help is appreciated.
Thanks,
jbw2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Processes running in Task Manager flicker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Processes running in Task Manager flicker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Processes running in Task Manager flicker
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 2:07 AM PST

jbw2,

Is this still related to your Windows XP SP2 computer? It helps if you give computer info in each post...

Your previous post mentioned "lots" of screensavers. Have you tried disabling your screensaver altogether and running without one? Just to see if it makes a difference?

Start troubleshooting by doing a little computer clean up using the instructions in the links below:

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Then run Error Checking/Chkdsk using this link:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Processes running in Task Manager flicker
by jbw2 / December 9, 2004 7:26 AM PST

I have done all the things you suggested and there is no difference. I don't have any screensavers running. I have a windows xp home edition, 2.2gzh, 256 mb ram.

Collapse -
Hint: Change the update rate of Task Manager.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2004 7:27 AM PST
Collapse -
A shot in the dark
by keyhoti2 / December 9, 2004 7:53 AM PST

When you were asked what you are running, you just said that it is XP Home - correct me if I am wrong.

If not: then what about SP1 and all of the updates which went with that?

And what about SP2, which has apparently done "everything" ... at least until someone unwittingly or deliberately does something to stuff things up. (When I just had SP1, in "add and remove" I used to have heaps of modifiers for XP, but now I have none ... the implication being that SP2 has wrapped it all up.)

If you have kept up to date, then you have some other problem ... but if you haven't and haven't enabled automatic updates, then that is your problem I think.

Collapse -
Re: A shot in the dark
by funkid7 / December 10, 2004 6:00 PM PST
In reply to: A shot in the dark

I would like to chime in:
I have all WinXp/SP2 updates and get the same flicker. Grif may be right here. So, I am curious to try myself. I have 19 running tasks, which is about the norm I believe.

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 11, 2004 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: Re: A shot in the dark

Funkid,

Shutting down unnecessary start up programs and services will always help a computer run smoother and can stop some of the various "flutters" that occur..Follow those procedures first....

But, did you try the suggestion by Bob Proffitt. It's simple to check. Press "Ctrl-Alt-Delete", then click on the "Task Manager" tab. When that opens, click on the "View" tab, select "Update Speed", then choose something higher. Usually, the "Normal" setting is fine, but some computers may need to update faster.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by SumerBrez / December 11, 2004 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Re: A shot in the dark

Using XP/SP2..Mine flickers here and there..Seems its the ones that are in use (i thought) at the time.and beside each one under "CPU" the numbers change,back and forth then back to zero...Highest CPU at the bottom shows "6"..
Only have 4 items in my "Startup": 3 are related to "PestPatrol" and the other one is my "Nav"..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.