Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Processer Help

by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 6:14 AM PST

Hi, I'm new to computers and I am buying a new computer... I am looking at certain processers and it seems that some processers with a Higher GHZ rate e.g. P4-945 Dual Core 3.4GHZ are nowhere near as good as some processers with a lower GHZ rate e.g. E6700 Dual Core 2.6GHZ.... why is this?

Please Help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Processer Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Processer Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In short...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:21 AM PST
In reply to: Processer Help

The Core 2 Duo gets more done with each clock pulse. Sort of how a person with longer legs may go farther with less steps.

Bob

Collapse -
re:
by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: In short...

ok, that makes sense but than what does the 3.4 GHz/ 2.6GHz mean than?

Collapse -
Nothing but what clock it runs at.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: re:
Collapse -
Re:
by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 6:39 AM PST

Ok, Thanks this website helps alot but this website doesnt have most of the processers I was looking at just some. So is there somthing in a processers specs that will determine how good it is compared to another processer?

Thanks

Collapse -
I cheat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:44 AM PST
In reply to: Re:

I look for reviews of the machines I'm considering and hope they use the same benchmark for the 2 I want to compare.

To compare just the CPU I can cheat there as well. For instance a Core 2 Duo at 2.2 GHz with the 4MB cache will benchmark 10% faster as the 2.0 GHz model with same 4MB cache. Knowing this I can use that web site and compare CPUs that are not on the menu.

But let me cut to the bottom line. You want the Core 2 Duo.

Bob

Collapse -
Re4:
by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: I cheat.

Thanks, Hopfully this is the ladt question: When I am reading reviews or specs on different processors it will say somthing like Intel P8654 2.5Ghz rated at 4.6Ghz

What does this "rated mean and how can i find it out?

Thanks for you're patience

Collapse -
Sorry, example please.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re4:

I'm sure some marketing weasel will try to flog dual core CPUs such as "Our 2.4GHz Dual Core CPU is just like a 4.3GHz CPU" or other advert rewrite, but it's not as simple as that.

Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry, example please.

Oh, Sorry about that I think I should have asked a question to clarify for myself what I was saying, So. This is the part where I get confused. System requirments for a video game will say e.g. 2.8 GHz prosseor speed. So does this mean that the E6700 Dual Core 2.6GHz will not beable to run this game?

Just forget the other question.

Thanks

Collapse -
It will be fine. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

The GHz ratings you see on games are for the old Pentium 4 GHz which you've discovered is where the Core 2 Duo machines run just as fast as their old P4 machines at 1/2 the clock rate.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 7:29 AM PST

So a Dual Core at 2.2GHz and a Pentium 4 at 4.4Ghz would be the same?

Collapse -
No. It's not exactly 2 to 1. Here's another comparison link
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Ok
Collapse -
RE:
by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 7:41 AM PST

.., I don't really know much about processors and clock speed's etc. and I'm starting to get confused. So when I read the comparisons on that site I really don't understand much...

Thanks

Collapse -
System Requirment
by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 8:02 AM PST

Another Question... when a system requirment for the CPU speed says somthing like 1.7GHz is that the clock speed or somthing else?

Collapse -
RE:
by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 8:34 AM PST

so back to this..

Core?2 Duo Processor E6600| Pentium

Collapse -
audio
by cliff treasure / March 9, 2007 7:49 AM PST
In reply to: re:

I have a hard time reading the superb articles in the cnet forum, is it possible to include an audio device so i can just listen and type when i want to particpate in the activities required? thank you very much.
william todcor

Collapse -
"when a system requirment for the CPU speed says somthing
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 8:25 AM PST

"when a system requirment for the CPU speed says somthing like 1.7GHz is that the clock speed or somthing else?"

For now, today, that GHz number applies to P4 clock rates. The Centrino, Core Duo, and Core 2 Duo are more efficient so any known Centrino, Core Duo, and Core 2 Duo will handily meet that number.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by sfig1st / March 5, 2007 8:45 PM PST

Ok, Thanks for all this help. I have one more question and it is quite simple too. I am deciding between the Ati Core2Duo E6600 2.4GHz which has front side bus speed of 1066MHz and a Intel P4-960 Dual Core (which I think is a Pentium D) with a front bus speed of 800 MHz. So ive come to conclusion that the Intel P4-960 is better but should I buy the newer dual core anyway?

Thanks.

Collapse -
That P4 even at 3.6 GHz should be bested by the Core 2 Duo
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2007 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: Re:

Not only in benchmarks but power consumption. The P4 is mainly for those that want a familiar CPU moniker as I see no reason for it being offered today.

Bob

Collapse -
Ok
by sfig1st / March 6, 2007 5:17 AM PST

Thank's for all you're help Guys!

Collapse -
I use the lawnmower analogy
by linkit / March 5, 2007 9:25 AM PST

"Another Question... when a system requirment for the CPU speed says somthing like 1.7GHz is that the clock speed or somthing else?"

P4 ANALOGY:

Mowing your lawn with takes a certain amount of time when you walk behind your mower. If you walk faster behind your lawnmower, your lawn gets mowed faster. Intel P4 CPUs started at 1.3GHz and there were faster models produced (1.4, 1.7, 2.0, 3.0, 3.4GHz to name a few). At the time, game makers released their titles based on performance with P4 computers, and they determined that, say, a 1.7GHz P4 is the minimum for a particular game title to work properly.

CORE 2 DUO ANALOGY:

You now mow your lawn with a new mower having a wider cutting deck and longer blade (different CPU core). You can now walk slowly behind your new mower (slower clock speed) yet cut the same amount of grass as if you were running behind your old mower (overall performance is better). On top of that, every time you mow your lawn, your neighbor shows up and walks beside you with his new lawnmower which is the same as yours (two lawnmowers = dual core CPU). You have a great neighbor!

DISCLAIMER: There are no perfect analogies.

Collapse -
Hey, Linkit; Bob, Good Thread!!
by Ol Rod / March 5, 2007 10:46 AM PST

I have been wonderin about some of these same things! I read every Post!! Ol Rod

Collapse -
Kudos to Bob
by linkit / March 5, 2007 11:49 AM PST

Bob had it covered before I jumped in. Being surrounded by snow here, I just had an itch to cut some grass. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?