Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

process hangs consuming large abouts of cpu during installs

by CraigGB / May 27, 2008 5:47 AM PDT

hi there,
i recently installed xp pro spent hours downloading all the updates and drivers finally finished, then decided to install simcity 4 i put the disk in, autorun begain then nothing, after searching around in taskmanager i found a process 'simcity4_uninst.exe' compusing huge amounts of cpu as nothing was happining i ended it and the installer started, after i tried the ati drivers which had previously installed fine however just after double clicking nothing happened and again there was a process using large amounts of ram 'regpermwriter.exe' i ended it and the installer started i have experinced the same with other things however some installers seem to work fine but some do this strange hanging i ahve no clue what it can be my processor is a pentium d 930 which is the only hardware which may be related however i can not figure out what, i wpuld be grateful for any suggestions, also renistall xp produced the same results and they began after the same period of time roughly, sorry to be a bit sparce in details but im busy i will try to expand later:)

many thanks
Craig

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: process hangs consuming large abouts of cpu during installs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: process hangs consuming large abouts of cpu during installs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did You Install Service Pack 2 or 3 As Well?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 6:22 AM PDT

Have you checked the Event Viewer to see what was causing the issue?

Are there any driver problems (yellow exclamation marks) in Device Manager?

Which Windows Installer have you got on the machine? If you haven't already, make sure to use the newer Windows Installer 3.1 v2 from the link below. Download the file at the bottom of the page and run it to install the newest installer.:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
yes
by CraigGB / May 27, 2008 6:39 AM PDT

hi thanks very much for the reply, i have installed sp3 but i had the problem with only sp2 as well, i have the newest verision of msi and i do have errors in the device manager for a sm bus controller, a usb controller and a unknow device however as i had no problems eariler i do not see why they would now be causing problems, i would be glad to hear any thoughts on this and thanks again for your reply

Craig

Collapse -
I'd Start By Reinstalling The Windows Installer 3.1 v2..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 27, 2008 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: yes

..which I supplied earlier.. After that's done, start updating your drivers starting with the chipset, (which may be causing much of the problem) then video, then audio.. When installing the audio driver, be sure to install the AAU Bus first, then install the main audio driver..

The errors in Device Manager indicate you've installed some of the drivers incorrectly, or not installed them at all. For example, I've recently installed the most recent MSI drivers for an nVidia video card but the fix came when I visited nVidia and installed THEIR newest driver for the card. If the game installations fail to find the devices correctly, it could easily have caused the issues you're seeing.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
sorry i have not replied in a while
by CraigGB / May 30, 2008 10:07 PM PDT

okay after some messing around i think the problem may be down to avg 8 or something, as after installing vista again i installed avg as i had on xp then what do i find two processes using 50% cpu as in xp this time they were avgscanx.eve and mcbuilder.exe both work thorough cmd.exe so im wondering if avg is doing something to cause this or maybe my firewall is shortly i will reinstall xp and try other anti virus, any suggestions on this are welcomed thanks for the support grif Grin

Collapse -
Look (research) what MCBUILDER does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2008 10:45 PM PDT

It could be that old issue about Windows and images (corrupt according to MS.) I have yet to find a cure as MS will have to address this. I have AVG 8 on a few machines and between those and others can't say there is any issue there. But MCBUILDER and what it does and there is your best clue. Do the same things you would do with the Explorer crashing on bad JPEGs issue.
Bob

Collapse -
MCBuilder. related to MUI starts from taskmgr.
by jedeco / January 4, 2009 5:52 AM PST

In Vista, as you've undoubtedly found out, if you go to task scheduler, type compmgmt.msc at start search box and you'll find it in that mmc.
As you drill down, under the windows folder you'll see dozens of folders for various task from when and how to create system restore points (under the SystemRestore folder) to how and when to run defrag. There are many options. For the previous mentioned, i have turned off their entries for starting at login (+30 minutes) and set them to run in the AM hours as you can tell the task to wake the machine. I leave my machine in sleep mode at night. (shame on me for not being green. Sad )
Anyway, you will find McBuilder under the MUI folder so it has something to do with the Multi-Lingual User Interface. there is an LPRemove and Mcbuilder task under this folder. On my machine, mcBuilder has only run once, many months ago and i'm not sure what I installed to trigger it. I disabled LPRemove but i would not recommend disabling any tasks to anyone else. I have found many, however, that I know I do not need to run at logon or on a schedule. Just as i disable many services in services.msc interface and starup programs in msconfig.exe startup tab. Can gain a lot of speed back.
Anyway i don't know the tie to MUI for mcbuilder and what you are experiencing. It may be a conflict between AVG and defender on Vista. I know some AV packages won't run correctly if Windows defender is loaded. Not sure that has to do with MUI...?
check out your MUI folder in task scheduler and highlight mcbuilder then click the history tab below and see if there are still any entries and what error messages or codes it gives you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?