http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm ,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892199/en-us
>From the first website, this is what I did:
Download sharedaccess.reg (only for systems running Windows XP Service
Pack 2) and save to Desktop. Then double-click the file to merge the
contents to the registry. The Services entry will be created. Restart
Windows (mandatory step, otherwise the following NETSH command will
display an error message).

After restarting Windows, run this from Command Prompt (cmd.exe)

NETSH FIREWALL RESET

Launch firewall applet from Control Panel, and then configure your
Windows Firewall settings.

If none of the above methods help, as a last-resort solution (before
reinstalling Windows XP Service Pack 2), give these two commands a try.
Click Start, Run and type:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection Ndi-Steelhead 132
%windir%\inf\netrass.inf

Restart Windows, and then run this command (from Command Prompt):

NETSH FIREWALL RESET

Attempt to start Firewall applet. Start the Windows Firewall service
when prompted.

Second website:
SYMPTOMS
After you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), you cannot
start the Windows Firewall service. You may experience one or more of
the following symptoms:

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Process error and Windows Firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Process error and Windows Firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't bother

In reply to: Process error and Windows Firewall

Just download one of the many other free software firewalls for Windows. They're all about equal when it comes to protection levels, and some people really love the constant nagging about things, mistaking it for improved protection. Gives them a warm fuzzy feeling I guess.

There really just isn't a lot of point in trying to fix something when there's probably at least a half dozen alternatives, all free, and all at least equally effective.

A parting thought... Router based firewalls are generally much better than software firewalls. So if you have a DSL or Cable Internet connection, consider just getting a router. If you already have a router with a firewall, then there's no need for a second one. The protection gained vs. the complexity added doesn't work out in your favor.

Collapse -
One thing

In reply to: Don't bother

You neglect John, is that a Router firewall is generally hardware based, whilst an anti-virus system is generally software based, they do not conflict, as opposed to having two software based firewalls (or two hardware based firewalls).

I have a software based firewall on my anti-virus system, and have just purchased a router with a hardware based firewall. I know I could turn off the sotware firewall, but every now and then, the router updates itself, so I need that other protection at that time.

Collapse -
True, however...

In reply to: One thing

I didn't really neglect it, I intentionally left it off. Even if they don't conflict, a software firewall adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to the setup, which can make troubleshooting significantly more difficult.

In your case, when the router updates itself, if there is any amount of time you're not protected, it would be mere seconds. However, the most likely scenario is, when the router updates itself, the changes are either applied immediately, or the router has to reboot. In which case you have no connection to the Internet until it's back up and running, and you're still safe.

Collapse -
So why didn't you use System Restore to

In reply to: Process error and Windows Firewall

When it worked?

Bob

Collapse -
System Restore

In reply to: So why didn't you use System Restore to

That is not a bad idea. Last time I had done that for another issue, I had to rebuild the PC. For the Generic Host Process error, here is the solution:

Generic Host Process Error Message and a Flashlight Icon Appear
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 821690
Last Review : November 4, 2003
Revision : 1.0
SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer, you may receive the following error message:
Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you click Click Here at the bottom of the message box, the following error signature information may appear:
App name App version Module name Module version Offset
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Svchost.exe 5.1.2600.0 Hpgtpusd.dll 1.1.0.56 00008d0d
When you click Start, and then click My Computer, or when you double-click My Computer on your Windows desktop, Windows may search, and a flashlight icon may appear, for a long time (for example, five minutes) before files appear. A list of files and folders may not appear.
Back to the top

CAUSE
This behavior may occur if use an old HP printer driver or an old HP scanner driver.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, follow these steps: 1. Turn off the computer and the printer or the scanner.
2. Disconnect the printer or the scanner from the computer.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Install the compatible drivers and software for the printer or the scanner, and then reconnect the printer or the scanner to the computer.
Contact HP to obtain compatible drivers for the printer or scanner. For information about how to contact HP, click the appropriate article number in the following list to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
65416 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/65416/EN-US/) Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, A-K

60781 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60781/EN-US/) Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, L-P

60782 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/60782/EN-US/) Hardware and Software Third-Party Vendor Contact List, Q-Z
The third-party products that are discussed in this article are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products. Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821690

Before I try system restore, does anyone have any suggestions to fix Windows Firewall?

Collapse -
To fix windows firewall I would...

In reply to: System Restore

1. Look up IEFIX since it would automate much of what needs to be done. Have your XP CD handy.

2. Install Zonealarm since it would replace and disable Windows firewall.

Bob

Collapse -
Just for completeness.

In reply to: To fix windows firewall I would...

Not all operating system damage can be repaired. Think carefully why Microsoft implemented System Restore.

It was quite simple. Repairs were becoming time consuming to impossible so another method was needed. Quickly rolling back the system to when it worked can be the real answer here.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.