Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Probs after d/load Win XP service pack 2

After downloading Win Ser/pack 2 I am having problems with WinTV and my WI-FI pc card adapter on my laptop.
I am constantly getting a message ballon from the sys tray saying the wireless connection is good then the connection has failed.
WinTV has various problems from breaking up sound to producing an on screen message with the IE heading saying that script errors have been found on this page do you want to continue running scripts. I click yes nothing happens and the same if I click no. Click the close x a couple of times and it goes. The tv picture then reduces to a third size with no other parts of the program's interface showing so ctrl alt delete is needed to bring up task manager to close the program.
As for as I am aware WinTV doesn't connect to the Internet to work?????????? so why I get this script error can any one advise.
I use Outlook for email and this is also acting very strangley giving mail delivery errors and duplicating the email messages in my inbox.
Is it possible to uninstall the Windows service pack 2? in add remove programs to return to how things were prior to the download. ( I know some of these downloads are irreversable)
Thanks all Martin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Probs after d/load Win XP service pack 2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Probs after d/load Win XP service pack 2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Probs after d/load Win XP service pack 2

In reply to: Probs after d/load Win XP service pack 2

>>Is it possible to uninstall the Windows service pack 2? in add remove programs to return to how things were prior to the download. ( I know some of these downloads are irreversable)<<

Do you see SP2 listed in the add/remove section of XP? If so, I would "assume" you could remove SP2, but I don't know for sure. If it were me I would give it a try assuming it is listed in add/remove. Worst case is you will have to re-format and start over w/o SP2.

I keep hearing stories like yours from so many people [not all who have installed SP2, but a LOT who have] that I have decided NOT to install SP2 until M$ releases the fixes I "hear" they are already working on.

G.F.K.

Collapse -

Hello,
Apparently, if you restart your PC with F8, choose "safe mode", go in Start, Run, type appwiz.cpl, click OK, select Windows XP Service Pack 2, remove, it's supposed to work.
Good luck,
Sylvia

Collapse -

I just had a similar experience after an update on my Windows 2000 laptop. I had to fish out the pc-card wifi driver CD and reinstall that. That cured one item. For XP, many will not know what to do with the MS IFC firewall, so you can try it in disable mode to see if that is it.

As to the USB WinTV, my bet is you accepted not only SP2 but a driver from MS. Don't do that.

bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.