PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Problesm with building computer

Hey all, i'm having some weird problems with the computer im building so i was hoping you can help. Now after I built my computer everything turns on the on light works all the fans work lights light etc, but there is no display to my monitor with is a universal monitor.

So far i have re worked all my connections, checked my jumpers, and even tried diffrent video cards (there is no onboard video)

This is the hardware im working with:

case: chenbro gaming bomb
power supply: Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W ATX power supply
mother board: SYNTAX S865PE
processor: Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache
ram: Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB
video card: XFX nVIDIA GeForce MX4000
hard drive: Maxtor Ultra Series Kit 120GB 7200RPM IDE
cd/dvd drive: TDK indidvd
floppy drive: samsung floppy drive

and some extra fans, today i figured that it might be that it was looking for a agp card so i borrowed a GeForce 4 MX and im still getting nothing on the screen and suggestions on what could be wrong? and suggestions would be helpful thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problesm with building computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problesm with building computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Problesm with building computer

In reply to: Problesm with building computer

Do you have the speaker connected and get any beeps. If not, your MB BIOS is not responding for some reason. If you get any beeps (one is normal) then your BIOS has found a hardware error. Post back with which happens.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Problesm with building computer

Ok i hooked it up and i get no beeps

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Problesm with building computer

I've had motherboards that give no beeps at bootup, so that's not really a telling test anymore for me. But without knowing what your board does, I would think no beeps in your case might be either the power supply not connected correctly at the panel pins, the CPU not set correctly (look for switches or jumpers as some boards don't set them automatically for you..check the manual) or a bad/unseated stick of RAM.

TONI

Collapse -
The way that most say to assemble

In reply to: Problesm with building computer

a new computer [or troubleshoot one].

First make certain that the mobo is properly mounted to the mounting plate with no way that the artwork touches the plate EXCEPT for the metal standoffs that are mounted through the holes in the mobo that have the plated ring around them]. If the case was used with a prior mobo be certain that all unused hex standoffs have been removed [they can short the mobo].

Make certain that the BIOS jumper is on the correct two pins.

Then with ONLY and mean ONLY the PS connected to the mobo, the CPU with HSF, a stick of memory, the front panel connections to the mobo [or simply use a scewdriver tip to momentarily touch the two pins where the wires from the switch get connected. No mouse, no keyboard no drives no cards. Should get a lot of beeps where system is complaining that there is no video card. If you get that far turn off the computer and install a video card and connect the monitor.

Remember, with an ATX system when turning the system off by the front power switch there will still be 5 volts logic power on the mobo. To remove this, unplug the AC power to the PS or by the switch on ther rear of the supply]. [remember to turn it back on after you have added the piece of hardware LOL]

Hopefully with the video [and the card must be fully seated into the AGP slot. That takes a fair amount of force] you will get a single beep and see the first video screen saying what the video card and possibly BIOS data. If you can't get that far don't waste time adding more hardware. If you do, then hook up a keyboard [turn power off to hook it up]. [The USB ports are the only connections on a PC that are "Hot Switchable"] and get into the BIOS to set the proper Memory Bus or FSB speed.

Get that far and add one device at a time,[ next the floppy drive] and check that it works.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.