Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Problems with Zone Alarm 6.5.7 Basic Firewall

by Donato777 / September 8, 2006 2:52 AM PDT

I installed ZoneAlarm 6.5.7 free firewall on my PC yesterday and ever since, it has been difficult or impossible to connect to the Internet (I use Firefox 1.5 browser). I keep getting a "cannot find server" message. When I shutdown ZoneAlarm, I can connect without a problem. I also notice that my PC Internet connection is slower now. Has anyone else had these problems with ZoneAlarm 6.5.722.000 (to be precise)? I don't have any other firewall installed on my PC except this one, but I'd appreciate it if someone can either recommend another one or help me to fix the bugs in this one. Thanks to all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Zone Alarm 6.5.7 Basic Firewall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Zone Alarm 6.5.7 Basic Firewall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Program Control?
by Bugbatter / September 8, 2006 3:28 AM PDT

Did you check your Program Control in Zone Alarm to see if you have allowed the program to connect?

I'm using ZA Free v.6.5.731 and have not had any problems with that one.

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm 6.5.722.000
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 8, 2006 4:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yep :)
by Bugbatter / September 8, 2006 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: ZoneAlarm 6.5.722.000
Collapse -
????
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 8, 2006 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Yep :)

I don't understand the "yep"..... all you have to do is a Google search.......

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm is hopeless
by raybrom / September 10, 2006 6:55 PM PDT

I tried Zone alarm and experienced identical problems so I would not recommend it. I have tried many firewalls and for me the best combination is AVG free plus firewall. From memory it cost about AU$65.00. If you also ad the free version of SpywareBlaster you should have the best and most economical protection. Of course no computer should be without Ad-Aware which is also free.

Collapse -
ZA is NOT Hopeless !!!!!
by carydc2 / September 10, 2006 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: ZoneAlarm is hopeless

I have been using ZA for Years.

This is a release that had a problem.

There is a Fix for it. Update.

Once updated then check it out.

The programers respond with this product. They MAKE Sure it works.

Not like Norton or McAfee. They are Totally non-responsive and issues go on for Months with their Bloat Ware.

Collapse -
ZA is hopless or perhaps helpless
by JohnL600 / September 11, 2006 12:28 AM PDT

Sadly I purchased a two year subscription. About 10% of the time I have to exit ZA to visit web pages. When I try and set up my router I have to disable it as the setup pages won't display completly.
As far as help from ZA goes it is as close to non existant as any I have seen. Through their website I filled out and sent them a form describing some of the problems I was having. After a two day wait this is their response:

The following data is incompatible with the receiving project:
Field: Issue Type (Not a valid choice for this Project field )
Original Data: License Key / Serial Number Question
Field: Languages (Not a valid choice for this Project field )
Original Data: en_gb
Field: Zone Labs Product (Project field not present)
Original Data: ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 6.5
Field: Internal Issue Type (Project field not present)
Original Data: New Style Lic error/Rmlicense

Not a lot of help for me.

John

Collapse -
Too difficult to set up
by Dr. Zoltar / September 11, 2006 3:02 AM PDT

I've tried to use Zone Alarm a couple of times, but it's just a headache to set up. And then at times it just won't let me connect to the internet or let my VPN function. I gave up and now use a combo of Windows XP Firewall, Norton's Internet Security, and Spyware Blaster. I've never had a problem sincet then.

Zone Alarm is too much work to tweak just right so I gave up.

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm requires teaching
by dan402 / September 11, 2006 1:57 AM PDT

I agree with the very first post I read, you must tell Zone Alarm which programs to allow and give it a Trusted or Very Trusted allowance.

In almost every machine I set up or build for people, I install, AVG antivirus, Zone Alarm Free and of course AdAware Personal and any other spyware program that can work with AdAware.

None of my clients have had the problems that your describing, but I do train Zone Alarm on things they will use on a most common basis.

Collapse -
ZA the BEST.
by randarac / September 11, 2006 11:32 PM PDT

I've used many renoum AV I found ZA to be The Best. Updated permanently, secure, easy to configure, etc.
If anyone have problem with any version you can bet for the update in a very short time. You always, everyday, can download new version w/o cost.
I'm not a ZA alarm guy. I from Venezuela-South America.

Collapse -
Which version are you running now?
by Donato777 / September 12, 2006 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: ZA the BEST.

Hi randarac,
Do you run the free version or ZA Pro and which one? Gracias!

Collapse -
filseclab
by phil66 / September 12, 2006 1:35 AM PDT

Hi Donato

A few post ago you asked about Filseclab firewall

I downloaded and installed after removing ZA.

No problems with page not found as the current version of ZA is having.

Has a nice interface easy to configure and lots of info about your system.

The only drawback is that when running Shields up 4 ports are closed but not stealthed.

Port numbers are 0,25,110,1054

Using leak test the firewall would not pass.

E-mail to support about workaround or fix for said problem

As of yet no response.

Ray

Collapse -
Please keep us updated about Filseclab
by Donato777 / September 12, 2006 12:28 PM PDT
In reply to: filseclab

Thanks Ray,
Please keep me posted if you hear from Filseclab about the fix. In the meantime, are you still using this program or have you gone back to ZA? I have ZA installed, but disabled on my PC, so I can switch over if necessary - unless someone out there can recommend a great bug-free firewall - if one exists! LOL

Collapse -
Uninstall ZA
by phil66 / September 12, 2006 12:50 PM PDT

Keep it in my download just in case I need it.

Don't really have any plans on reinstalling as there are to many page not found errors.

I still have Filseclab installed it is working fine.

I am a little bit concerned about the unstealthed ports but as long as they are closed will continue with it until I get an answer from the Techs.

If I get a response I will reply.

I am tempted to try Tiny Personnel Firewall if this one does not work reviews are pretty good.

Ray

Collapse -
ZA 65.731 is the most current version
by jmloftus13 / September 10, 2006 11:10 PM PDT

65.731 is the most current version and I have no problems with it.
ZA fixed the problems in 65.722

Jeannine

Collapse -
Zone Alarm: Bigger resource hog than Norton Firewall?
by NickMets7 / September 8, 2006 6:47 AM PDT

Hello all,

I read Donato's message and I was thinking of switching over to Zone Alarm (subscription running out). However, will Zone Alarm make my computer/internet connection run slower than Norton does?

Thank you

- Nick

Collapse -
reviews recommend the free version of ZoneAlarm and Kerio Pe
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 8, 2006 7:09 AM PDT

Hi Nick,

Kerio Personal Firewall about equally, Kerio has an important advantage. It is one of the only free firewalls that blocks leak tests. Experts say Kerio is easy to install and use, and reviews praise Kerio?s flexibility.

Read more:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/firewalls/index.html

ZoneAlarm's free version provides all the necessities of a personal firewall, but little more. It doesn't include the Pro version's Smart Defense Advisor, which automatically blocks or allows known programs. You can't password-protect your settings, and the advanced program control that can block leak-test attacks isn't available. New features of ZoneAlarm Pro 6, such as the OS Firewall and detailed levels of program trust, haven't trickled down to the free version. And several other popular features exist only in limited form?MailSafe, for example, blocks only VBS attachments, ID protection guards only your eBay password, and virus protection simply monitors the health of your separate antivirus product.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1864623,00.asp

ZoneAlarm 6 free

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1864625,00.asp

Collapse -
Comodo Personal Firewall?
by NickMets7 / September 8, 2006 9:25 AM PDT

Thank you, I have just one more question:

What about the Comodo Personal Firewall? PCMag said it resisted leak tests as well. I'm mostly concerned with keeping my memory resources low and my protection effective.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1969207,00.asp

Thanks again!

- Nick

Collapse -
Comodo Personal Firewall
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 8, 2006 9:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Comodo
by phil66 / September 8, 2006 10:59 AM PDT
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=204406&messageID=2186295

Nick here is some info on Comodo Firewall you may want to review before you download.

I downloaded and install last week.
Had problems with it conflicting with AVG Free anti-virus
When I tried to uninstall again problems it would not let me delete some values in the registry.
To solve this I had to reinstall the complete program then uninstall.

Like the posteer said probably not ready for prime time.

Ray
Collapse -
Thanks for your help!
by NickMets7 / September 8, 2006 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Comodo

Thank you both for this valuable information - I really appreciated it.

- Nick

Collapse -
Filseclab Personal Firewall
by Donato777 / September 8, 2006 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Comodo

I decided to try a different (free) firewall called Filseclab Personal Firewall. It received excellent reviews by users here at Cnet. Here is the link for information about it and download:
http://www.download.com/Filseclab-Personal-Firewall-Professional-Edition/3000-10435_4-10421598.html?tag=lst-0-1
I also downloaded ZoneAlarm 6.5.737 but I am not using it for now as I'd like to see how Filseblab works. Has anyone had experience with this firewall? Is it possible or advisable to use TWO firewalls at once or will they conflict with one another? Thanks all!

Collapse -
Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition
by Marianna Schmudlach / September 9, 2006 1:11 AM PDT

Had never heard of it before ......

What I found:

Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition is one of the best free firewall, it is not only very easy to use, and also very powerful. It can prevent most attacks from worm viruses and Trojans, it can also block some main Adware and Spyware. It offers double filter system for double-layer protection. The digital signature verification can automatically trust the well-known program. Built-in 7 big modes for all kinds of requirements. It also supports realtime monitor, interactive rules creator, ?

http://www.windowsmarketplace.ca/reviews.aspx?itemId=184330&stext=

More here

Collapse -
Leak test
by scarab11011 / September 12, 2006 9:13 AM PDT

I use the free version of zone alarm and have recently used the leak test at the Gibson Research Centre and there was no problem.

Collapse -
ZA Free v.6.5.731
by Donato777 / September 8, 2006 7:09 AM PDT

OK, I am going to uninstall ZoneAlarm v. 6.5.722.000 and download ZA Free v.6.5.731 instead. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Collapse -
ZA vs Norton - Resources
by carydc2 / September 10, 2006 9:46 PM PDT

ZA is NOT a bigger resource hog.

I have been running ZA for Years.

This iteration is the first Major issue I have run into. There was a fix issued almost immediately and the update once applied makes it as usable as it ever has been. I have been using this since release 1.

Back when there were few PC firewalls.

Cary

Collapse -
common problem
by goegoe / September 9, 2006 1:34 AM PDT

it is very common problem,it means that your firewall can't be installed well, you would have to reinstall it , I try many firewalls , find that they usually are installed twice , that is very normal , including Filseclab,note: not to change firewall often, beccause it is firewall , not ordinary softwall.

Collapse -
by beckcoult / September 10, 2006 8:10 PM PDT

I would install the newer version of zonealarm. The most current is: ZoneAlarm version:6.5.731.000
TrueVector version:6.5.731.000
Driver version:6.5.731.000

Collapse -
Absolutely.
by PMTRAIN / September 10, 2006 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

731 is the fix to 722. Back in July when ZA brought out 722, everybody was going nuts with all the problems, including the sudden requirement that it wouldn't work with some of our other favorite security/adware type programs. On that basis alone I was going to dump them. I wasn't going to stick with a free program that wouldnt work with something I had paid for. On their own site, their moderators (to their credit) were just busting their humps over fixes and try this/try that stuff. And all that time, NOBODY was saying a word about it anywhere else,like here on CNET. And it all seemed so famliar till finally somebody mentioned here on CNET that this had happened before,same problem, an update that wouldnt work,until they (ZA) fixed it. In the end, we just waited,stayed with the previous version that worked, and finally ZA came out with version 731 that did and does.

Collapse -
Zone Alarm is fine.
by ghp / September 10, 2006 10:28 PM PDT

I have used the free version of Zone Alarm for many years now.

I always take advantage of updates whenever they become available.

I hope that the installation of version 6.5.737.000 will solve your problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?