Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Problems with WINXP Lan and shared internet access

by phucbv / May 5, 2004 10:56 PM PDT

I recently reformated my XP machine, and re-installed windows xp. Since then i have not been able to connect to the internet through my router, there are several other machines on the network which dont have a problem connecting. It seems to be nothing to do with the router as i plugged my cable into the back of another pc and the internet ran fine. My TCP/IP settings are such that it obtains an IP adress automatically, but the IP adress it is getting i think is wrong. the other pc's get IP addresses starting 192.168.xx.xx, however mine gets something completely different, in device manager my network card says it is working fine.

Please Help
Phucbv

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with WINXP Lan and shared internet access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with WINXP Lan and shared internet access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Problems with WINXP Lan and shared internet access
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 3:14 AM PDT

Beside XP, did you install drivers for motherboard, video, audio, LAN and what else?

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:Problems with WINXP Lan and shared internet access
by phucbv / May 6, 2004 8:57 PM PDT

I've re-formatted before and not had any problems, i've never installed a driver for the motherboard. Everytime i've re-formatted i have installed audio and video drivers.

I have tried to repair the connection in network properties and it fails to renew the ip address.

I didnt know about the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew commands, i will try that and see what happens.

I have also tried copying the settings from one of the other pc's on the network which can connect to the internet, setting my own ip and gateway and dns etc, with a different ip. When i do this and start up windows explorer to see if it is going to connect it tries for longer before timing out and failing, than when it obtains the ip automatically.

Could there be a problem with the network card, even though in device manage it says it is working properly

Thanks for helping i've run out of ideas
Jules

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Problems with WINXP Lan and shared internet access
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 11:19 PM PDT

"I've re-formatted before and not had any problems, "

So you seen to have fixed it. Or maybe not? Be careful with what you write...

As to drivers, many don't understand the driver issues. In short, Microsoft doesn't do them all. We get to do all the drivers when it doesn't work. Seek out those motherboard drivers and when networking, don't install that firewall until you get the network up and working, then flip it on.

Bob

Collapse -
It's fixed, what a relief
by phucbv / May 7, 2004 3:46 AM PDT

I went on the internet and got the latest driver for my network card and whacked that on and it went!!

Thanks for ur patience and help
Jules

Collapse -
Now XP SP1 and if OK with all those lovely patches. A firewall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 4:40 AM PDT

The order is important so you know what breaks it again, but with all the pests out there (for XP), you get to download the patches and finally a firewall.

Best of continued luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Problems with WINXP Lan and shared internet access
by Michael Geist / May 6, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

What is the IP range you are getting?

Have you tried ipconfig/release, then ipconfig/renew from a command prompt?

Alternative is to repair the network connection in Network Properties.

Collapse -
see the message reply to the other message posted
by phucbv / May 6, 2004 9:00 PM PDT

I've posted a reply to both RE's in one message which is in the reply to R.Proffit's message

Cheers
Jules

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?