Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problems with window moving while typing...

I recently purchased an HP Pavillion DV4000 (Customized) notebook, OS Win XP Home Edition, and I've noticed that while typing in various programs like MS Word, Email Programs, or text boxes such as this one, the window will often move up and down while typing (as if it were adjusting or something). I have done everything I can think of to fix the problem (including reformating and reinstalling xp), and HPs support has been no help. I wanted to know if anyone else experienced this problem and if it's something I can fix (the scrolling is really annoying), or if my computer is defective and needs to be returned to HP. Any info would be great, thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with window moving while typing...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with window moving while typing...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you saying

In reply to: Problems with window moving while typing...

that the whole screen display moves?

Or do you mean the window you are working on, (eg a window of an MS Word document that is smaller than the desktop), moves?

If the latter, then that's one I have not heard of before, but if the former, (the whole desktop display moves), that sounds to me like a monitor problem, either a faulty montor or a video driver.

Have you tried adjusting the screen resolution to something higher? (Right click empty desktop, select Properties, Settings tab, move the slider under "Screen resolution" a notch at a time to the right, then click Apply, OK, then test it.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Are You Saying...

In reply to: Are you saying

I mean, the window that I am currently working in will scroll up and down. I can't seem to find a way to make it stop, and HP has been no help whatsoever.

Collapse -
Check you touch pad settings

In reply to: Problems with window moving while typing...

There should be a setting to turn off tapping while typing. Believe it or not, your arm or sleave can brush along the touch pad and cause all kinds of problems.

Collapse -
Re: Check Touchpad Settings

In reply to: Check you touch pad settings

Yes, I have tried to turn off the tapping on the mousepad. That just made everything worse. That is, when I turned off the tapping, when I typed, the cursor would jump around and start typing over previous sentences, etc. I've done just about everything I can think of, and nothing works. My hands also don't go anywnere near the touchpad when I'm tying, so I don't know what the problem is. I think it might have to do with the software for the touchpad though. I re-installed windows, and I noticed that I didn't have the problem when the ALPS software wasn't installed, but once it was, the screen would jump around. (However, if I don't install the ALPS software, the keystrokes jump everywhere while typing.

Collapse -
do I need to download and install the alps touchpad driver

In reply to: Re: Check Touchpad Settings

I have an inspiron 8200 w/ touchpad and stick. OS is Windows XP Professional. In order to solve the jumping text/cursor problem, I'm looking to make adjustments to the touchpad sensitivity. There's no way to adjust settings in control panel in the mouse icon, as it doesn't reflect I have a touchpad at all! I've downloaded the alps touchpad driver from website, but I can't confirm that's the type of touchpad I have. How can I know this is the right thing to do?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.