Peripherals forum

General discussion

Problems with upgrading monitor

by mntwister / August 12, 2010 4:25 AM PDT

I just upgraded my monitor from a 22" Acer monitor to a 25" I. Inc monitor. The dirst thing I noticed is that the screen height is the same on both my older 22" and the newer 25" (actually 24.6" screen size). This is causing everything to stretch. All pictures on the internet are stretched as well as wording ect.Both my old and new one are 16:9 size.

The old 22" acer screen size is actually 12" height x 18.87" across
The new 25" Inc screen size is 12" height and a little over 21" across

So the length across is longer but the height is the same. This is causing stretching.

I thought that if you increase the size of a monitor, the size increases in length AND height, yet both the 22" and the 25" are both 12" in height, the increase in the new monitor is onlyacross.

Is this true of all monitors? I used to sell televisions and when we measured diagonally, an increase in diagonal dize meant the picture was longer AND higher. Can someone explain this to me, or is this something that I.Inc does , and possibly if I ordered a 25" Acer the height would also increase as well as the length (over my old 22")?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with upgrading monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with upgrading monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You didn't say what the pixel counts are.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 4:50 AM PDT

If the aspect ratios are the same which I can't tell then I wonder if the x and y pixel counts changed.

I've seen 16x10 displays which folk do gripe about.
Bob

Collapse -
Here are the specs
by mntwister / August 12, 2010 7:23 AM PDT

This is the I Inc. IH252..and you might be right, this looks LONGER than 16:9, it might be 16:10, though it says 16:9 in which case I am sending it back, everything is distorted and stretched from top to bottom. I am using VGA connection as I do not have a video card with DVI or HDMI.

What I wonder is why is the height of the screen 12", the same as my old 22" (this one is 25") yet from left to right it is 21 1/4" where mny old one was18 3/4", meaning the increase in size was only from left to right, top to bottom screez size remained the same. I've never heard of that. When increasing diagonal size, it should increase both ways!

Here are the specs, if anyone knows why this didn't increase in height as well as across, and what is wrong, please let me know. Thankjs

Display Type: Widescreen LCD
Screen Size: 25 inches
Diagonal Size: 24.6"
Pixel Pitch: 0.283mm
Display Colors: 16.7 million
Display Format: 16:9 Wide LCD
Vertical Refresh Rate: 56Hz - 75Hz
Horizontal Frequency: 24kHz - 83kHz
Condition: New
Features: Built-in Speakers
HDMI: 2
Interface Type: HDMI
VGA
Speakers: 2 x 1.5 Watt
Audio Input: Yes
Contrast Ratio: 800:1
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 15000:1
Brightness: 300 cd/m

Collapse -
The numbers don't jive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2010 10:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Here are the specs

With a 12 inch tall LCD you say there is 17.1 inches on the entire panel which would result in over 2.5 inches of plastic at the top and bottom of the enclosure. That should look ugly.

On the width you measure 21 1/4 on the LCD which gives me some 1.65 inches of plastic or .825 inches on left and right.

This on paper would be one ugly LCD.
Bob

Collapse -
Correction
by mntwister / August 12, 2010 2:16 PM PDT

The size I gave is not for the entire monitor but the actual viewable screen size.

old 22" acer: 12" height by 18 3/4" across
new I inc 25" monitor: 12" height by 21 l/2" across.

The aspect ratio doesn't seem right. If you increase the diagonal dize from 22" to 25", the lenngth across AND the height should increase equally shouldn't they? With this monitor, only the length across increased.

Collapse -
The numbers still don't jive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 12:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Correction

I redid the numbers and the plastic bezel would look downright ugly.

Sorry the numbers still don't agree with the picture of the product. And the specs don't reveal what you are writing.

Sorry, wish I was there with a ruler. I can't offer anything other than if you don't like it, return it.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob
by mntwister / August 13, 2010 3:15 AM PDT

Bob which numbers do not jive, if you explain to me what I should measure I will do it your way, no one else seems to have answered.

Collapse -
See post 4.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 3:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob

It's the ones with the LCD display size and the overall inches. If you do the numbers you find a monster amount of inches on the bezel which does not jive with the pictures.

Sorry but I will be offline for a few weeks real soon so my advice is to just return it. NOTHING WE DO HERE WILL CORRECT THIS ONE.
Bob

Collapse -
OK BOB FOUND MY PROBLEM
by mntwister / August 13, 2010 3:23 AM PDT

I went looking for reviews on Tigerdirect.com, and here is what one reviewer said, same thing that has been my problem:

"Returned it. The issue is the measurements of it's diagonal size are achieved by an increased width. A truly large monitor should also have an increased height. This would make text appear larger. This monitor fails in this respect. Everything is stretched because there is no additional height for the larger size I purchased."

In other words, they only increased the size of the viewable screen's width and NOT the height, so it really is not 16:9 as advertised. If you are familiar with movies, it looks more like a 2:20:1 movie instead of a 1:85:1 movie which would be 16:9. Very false stats they advertise. I am sending it back. I will take a trip to Best Buy, which is 60 miles south of me, tomorrow and look at monitor's there before ordering another one. I guess Hanns and I Inc. measure theirs differently and it's awful!

Bob thanks for taking the time to help.

Collapse -
Yes. That's the (unbelieveable) number I came up with too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 3:30 AM PDT

When I did the numbers I got over 2 to 1 on the ratio. And the specs don't align with the online pages and then I looked at it another way to see what inches of plastic bezel there might be using the overall display (not the LCD but the entire display) and found it would be one ugly display with many inches of plastic bezel vertically and not much horizontal. The pictures don't show that so all I could write is the numbers don't jive.
Bob

Collapse -
MORE SPECS
by mntwister / August 12, 2010 7:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
MORE SPECS
by mntwister / August 12, 2010 1:56 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.