Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Problems with the WRT54G-S

Hi
I?m having major problems with my router. We have a linksys WRT54GS, with a desktop connected to it via cable and my laptop running on wireless. Things were ok until a few weeks ago, when my connection started dropping more often (but it would immediately connect by itself a few seconds later). But now, I can?t even connect to the internet. Here?s the detail:

At first, I couldn?t even connect to the router, although my laptop would pick up the signal. The router is set to have a network key (WPA or WPA II), so I played around with the connection properties and changed the network authentication to OPEN from SHARED and left data encryption to WEP. Now this time I can connect to the router, access the router?s setting and access the other computer, but can?t browse the net. Just for ease, I?ve disabled the router?s security mode now.

I?m running Windows XP Security Update 2, and I have a Intel Wireless Network card 802.11 b/g.
Did I mention HOW ANNOYING this is? I also had another linksys, the WRT54G, and that thing died on me too a while ago.

And yes, I have the latest firmware.
Thanks everyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with the WRT54G-S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with the WRT54G-S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
clarification

In reply to: Problems with the WRT54G-S

Does this happen with both computers?
Does this happen only with wireless on the notebook?

Scan for viruses and spyware.

If only a wireless problem, try a different broadcast channel (1, 6, or 11).

Results?

Collapse -
Problem gone

In reply to: clarification

The problem was only with the laptop. The pc worked fine, it was just the laptop that couldn't suft despite being connected to the router. For SOME reason, I was playing around with the connection settings, and even though i didn't change anything at the end, when i disconnected the router and the modem for 30 seconds (I HAD DONE THIS BEFORE AT LEAST A BIZZILLION TIMES) it started working again. I'm guessing there was a problem with my IP????

Collapse -
Problems with the WRT54GS

I have problems trying to connect to a shared printer and I can identify with your problem:
some solution, if can get on the internet, go www.linksys.com/check site. From there you will be able to have the router through this site, just follow the directions. Or call the linksys tech support at 1-800-326-7114.

Collapse -
linksys problem

In reply to: Problems with the WRT54GS

i have the same router same setup (2 pc's hard wired, wireless laptop) and had the same problem. im new to wireless and had just bought a laptop and router. worked fine for a few weeks then started dropping out more and more. called linksys and went step by step thru configuration and it has been ok since if i remember it had to do with the channel it was on. call them and set it up right. should be fine still cant share the damn printer though lol good luck

Collapse -
No wireless print capability

In reply to: linksys problem

I feel your pain. I still can't get any connection to my printer either. Calling linksys about this annoying problem was a waste of time and effort. I have A Dell Demension 3000 and a linksys WRT54GS.

Collapse -
often overlooked step

In reply to: No wireless print capability

If you have a shared printer on a computer, did you tell the personal firewall on that computer to allow other computers to access it? Maybe set up a "trusted" range of IP addresses in that firewall?

- or -

Is it a network printer that connects directly to the router or via a print server?

Collapse -
No Print

In reply to: often overlooked step

the printer is connected to the computer

Collapse -
Try using netstumbler

If you are not aware of it, Netstumbler is a great, FREE, site survey tool. It will tell you how stong the signal is and it will tell you all of the other networks within range of your wireless card. It tells you the channel they are using and whether they are encrypted or not. If you are lucky, you will only see devices on channel 1, 6 or 11. Anybody using channels other than this are rookies and need some education on wireless. This is a more scientific approach to choosing a random channel.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.