Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

problems with startup

I just recently had my hp omnibook xe2 serviced for a bad hard drive and the problem I am having is it is telling me it cant find the os but I dont have the original cds and hp will not help me get my hands on them so I was just wondering if anyone know a way around this ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problems with startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problems with startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:problems with startup

In reply to: problems with startup

1) OS?
2) Warranty?
3) Who serviced the hard drive and why are you not calling them?

Collapse -
What OS CDs do you have?

This is much like a flat tire and no spare. We can't do much. HP will not "give" you the CDs so lets be sure that you know that. After so many years, HP will not have stock on said CDs either. So you have to go buy your OS and get it fixed.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:problems with startup

windows 95 and hp doesnt support them anymore and I am computer illiterate so I need all the help I can get?

Collapse -
Re:Re:problems with startup

In reply to: Re:problems with startup

Sorry, I forgot to mention i have several os startup disks ranging from a set of win 98 hp disks to windows 2000 but I cant seem to get them working

Collapse -
What OS does HP supply drivers for and what OS CD is a full version.

In reply to: Re:Re:problems with startup

Since you don't have the CDs for this machine, it's a toss up until we determine what you have to install.

Illiterate or not, you are the one that will deal with the issue since we will be making it up as we go for your machine and what OS you have.

There are no "step by step" instructions. We have to deal with "guides" and a general direction when we get a machine like this.

Bob

Collapse -
And over at HP.COM

In reply to: Re:Re:problems with startup

" this functionality will enable you to search on the business support web site, alternatively you can also search across the entire hp web site.
5 product(s) found for:
download drivers and software - xe2

Collapse -
Re:And over at HP.COM

In reply to: And over at HP.COM

I have a set for win 95 and a set for win 98 the 98 set is for a omnibook xe3 but when i try using them it says this model is not supported and i also tried that same website for a bootdisk and couldnt get it to work the hp site is of no help because it doesnt let me download anything att all sorry for being so difficult i m just pissed off that i just lost 350 bucks for nothing !!!

Collapse -
As Michael suggested ...

In reply to: Re:And over at HP.COM

contact the person who 'fixed' your hard disk. He's done half work, at most. Depending on your instructions, of course, which might have been a little bit too vague.

I find $350 for 'repairing' a Windows 95 laptop (must be at least 5 years old, I think) too much, anyway, even if the repair had been succesfull. Most people would have it discarded to start with.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.