Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Problems with Start-Stop Universal Transcription software

by ShopzAllDay / October 10, 2009 7:43 AM PDT

I read a previous post from someone on here having trouble with Start-Stop software. I too have been having a great deal of trouble, but not the same stuff. I operate on Vista and had been running version 9.7.7 of the software perfectly fine and without incident since I got it back in March, 2007. On 8/21/09, I was sent an upgrade to version 10.1.1 and ever since, it's been nothing but problems. I have contacted Start-Stop directly and worked with their tech support people for the past month. Last week their tech person updated me to version 10.5.6, and still I'm experiencing problems. They say it's not an issue with their software - that my system was running too many processes and it was hindering my computer's performance. After removing some "free" spyware programs which Start-Stop thought might be the culprit, I'm still not having any success. The program will work fine and then it's like my computer freezes - the audio will halt abruptly and whatever I'm typing in Word will freeze as well. After a few seconds, Word will start working again but whatever audio I had open in Start-Stop will not work again. It simply states (not responding) and the only way to get it back is by completely shutting out of it, re-opening the program and reload the audio I had been working on and continue where I left off. It's driving me absolutely crazy and it's especially frustrating since no one can seem to give me a response for how to fix it. I run Trend Micro Internet Security, which is up-to-date. Any help would be beyond appreciated at this point!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Start-Stop Universal Transcription software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Start-Stop Universal Transcription software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 7:47 AM PDT

That freeze, thaw was a real problem with XP and prior. I think its better in Vista but are you sure this works on your other machine? That freeze and thaw is known to happen due to hardware issues too so how are you sure it's their problem?

Let me share the old XP and such issue. If you had a network share and the share was offline then just like clockwork the machine would pause every 10 minutes for a few seconds. Many blamed software vendors like your post does.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob, thanks for the quick response but...
by ShopzAllDay / October 10, 2009 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Just sharing.

I don't use any other machine so I have no way to know. Also, this "freeze" only seems to cause problems with the Start-Stop software - I don't have problems with any of the other software I'm using. Further, as I had stated, I never had any issue with it at all for the past 2+ years that I've been using Start-Stop on this Vista computer - it only started after I upgraded in August and it's never performed correctly since. I am on a private network and don't have any file sharing, printer sharing or media sharing enabled.

Collapse -
Ask them for the old version?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 11:24 AM PDT

I author some software (long story) and keep old versions around for such claims. It could be an interaction like we see with Spybot or other like a recent firewall that when mixed with this or that but I digress.

Can you go get HIJACKTHIS, reboot then immediately produce a HIJACKTHIS log to save me from guessing badly?
Bob

Collapse -
Sure
by ShopzAllDay / October 10, 2009 11:32 AM PDT

Would you like me to post the results here?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Sure

While these forums don't offer full hijackthis readings, in this case it would help me avoid asking do you have this installed? How about that? and so on.
Bob

Collapse -
Here you go...
by ShopzAllDay / October 11, 2009 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 8:43:52 PM, on 10/10/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6002.18005)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\TrendSecure\TSCFPlatformCOMSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\hp\KBD\kbd.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\WrtMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe
C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfSeAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERANTISPYWARE.EXE
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\WrtProc.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
C:\Program Files\Starfield\Desktop Notifier\wben.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\TrendSecure\RemoteFileLock\FLMain.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqSTE08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqbam08.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqgpc01.exe
C:\Windows\system32\conime.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\SSDK04.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Users\Chris\Desktop\HiJackThis.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=71&bd=Pavilion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=71&bd=Pavilion&pf=desktop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! IE Services Button - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WrtMon.exe] C:\Windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\WrtMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [itype] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\itype.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UfSeAgnt.exe] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\UfSeAgnt.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] "C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe" /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [HPAdvisor] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\HPAdvisor.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] "C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [IndxStoreSvr_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Nero\Lib\NMIndexStoreSvr.exe" ASO-616B5711-6DAE-4795-A05F-39A1E5104020
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe" -hidden
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [wben] "C:\Program Files\Starfield\Desktop Notifier\wben.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TrendSecure Remote File Lock] "C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\TrendSecure\RemoteFileLock\FLMain.exe" /lock
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &Maps - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycmap.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! &SMS - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsms.htm
O9 - Extra button: @C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll,-222 - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll,-223 - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\INetRepl.dll
O9 - Extra button: PokerStars - {3AD14F0C-ED16-4e43-B6D8-661B03F6A1EF} - C:\Program Files\PokerStars\PokerStarsUpdate.exe
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyGaming\PartyPoker\RunApp.exe (file missing)
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O18 - Protocol: cozi - {5356518D-FE9C-4E08-9C1F-1E872ECD367F} - C:\Program Files\Cozi Express\CoziProtocolHandler.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.DLL
O23 - Service: ArcSoft Connect Daemon (ACDaemon) - ArcSoft Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACService.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: NeatWorks Database Controller (NeatWorksDatabaseController) - The Neat Company - C:\Program Files\NeatWorks\exec\NeatWorksDatabaseController.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Central Control Component (SfCtlCom) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\SfCtlCom.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Unauthorized Change Prevention Service (TMBMServer) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\BM\TMBMSRV.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Personal Firewall (TmPfw) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmPfw.exe
O23 - Service: Trend Micro Proxy Service (TmProxy) - Trend Micro Inc. - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security\TmProxy.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 10398 bytes

Collapse -
Just one thing stood out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Here you go...

You have the Trend protection and another protection (SAS) running. This sort of overlap is creating problems here or there. Some owners demand an explanation why but all I can do now is point it out.

The SUITE of protections that Trend installs could cripple some applications. If you are going to try this one more time, be sure to supply this log to the software author so they get all the dirty details.

Also, turn UAC during tests.

Finally, I never install Intellitype or intellimouse.
Bob

Collapse -
Unresponsive Start-Stop
by NisswaKid / January 25, 2011 4:45 AM PST

I'm having the same problems with Start-Stop in Vista. Were you able to resolve the problem or should I just reinstall ExpressScribe and kiss my $85 goodbye?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.