Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Problems with Spybot and AVG

by llhacker / December 9, 2008 12:29 AM PST

Help!!! I don't even know if I am asking the right people. I downloaded AVG 8.o (free version) and Spybot 1.6 (free version).
When I try to run spybot it stops at a certain spot (always the same)
and will go no further. I have just uninstalled it again. Do I really need both, or is one fighting the other. Should I download the spybot again. I am running on XP on an older Gateway computer. It is about 10 years old. Also, I bought a portable zip drive, it came with no directions. I bought it to put photos on to free up my vid card. Don't want to lose the photos, but I am unsure how to put them on the zip drive. Would someone just like to move in here and help me out until I can get a new computer? Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Laura

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Spybot and AVG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Spybot and AVG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spybot is known to have issues with some
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2008 12:53 AM PST

Other programs. Today I don't install Spybot. I go get MBAM (see google) and scan with that instead. I don't need both but I do insist on an antivirus.

Collapse -
MBAM
by llhacker / December 9, 2008 7:26 AM PST

You say to go to google and use MBAM. Do I do a google search for it, or is it on the google toolbar. I am keeping the AVG, but will not reinstall the spybot. Thanks for helping me.

Collapse -
(NT) Try a google search.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2008 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: MBAM
Collapse -
Here: Instructions/settings & Links
by tobeach / December 9, 2008 3:12 PM PST
In reply to: MBAM
Collapse -
Thank you
by llhacker / December 9, 2008 9:13 PM PST

I did a google search and downloaded MBAM. Seems to work well on my computer. If found a ton of junk and got rid of it. So, from someone whose brain does not work sometimes to someone who has a great mind and heart:

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Collapse -
had two conflicts with 4 but now only two
by Darrell / December 9, 2008 8:06 PM PST

1] Comodo Internet Security - it had conflicted with AVG Free 8.0.2] there is still an apparent conflict between Ad-Aware 2008 and I have 3] SpyBot S&D version 1.6.38 BETA that I got from www.filehippo(dot)com. I seleced ignore. All three have antivirus in them.I added BOClean 4.27 from www.comodo (dot com) for Anti - Malware; I think antimalware & (2) antispyware are doing the same. The first item automatically updates virus defs. I have about a 9 year shell with Gateway parts (same age) and an external zip drive 100 mb and had an internal one from Gateway so when you put in the zip drive, it should show up in My Computer. right click to properties and it will have 100 mb, but holds 96 mb so to install your pictures do a test run by copy some to desktop, right clck on blank spot on desktop and name other than My Pictures. drag the test pics to my folder (you can name them by date, I did that on a friend's Vista and I have WINXP Home Ed. right click the folder and go down to: send to and click on that and you will have zip drive there. they will go into the zip drive. In my computer, right click your zip drive and the dropdown has eject and format-this will remove you test pics and it will be blank again. Another item is www.defraggler(dot)com and it will compact your zip drive! Darrell L.

Collapse -
General Rule Of Thumb: Only 1 ACTIVE
by tobeach / December 10, 2008 1:56 PM PST

Anti-Virus running in real time. For Anti-Spyware/Malware (which have become more all encompassing of late, 'tho NOT normally running true AV)
you can still have conflicts if more than 1 is running real time in background. In this regard, have several for "On Demand" scanning & pick which one you want to have as main real time guard.
Example: Comodo full time w/ Spybot 1.6 only when wanted to scan. Same for MBAM.exe & SuperAnti-Spyware. Usually 1 real time straight AV & 1 real time A/S/M won't conflict except where they're "suites" which may contain all types.
Personally, I don't run BETAs since I don't want to spend the time trying to figure out where weird problems are coming from & trying to correct them. For some , this constitutes "FUN"!! Good luck! Happy

Collapse -
Sandy, made a change were there are no conflicts
by Darrell / December 10, 2008 11:00 PM PST

Removed Ad-Aware 2008. Kept Spybot (BETA) and added Comodo BOClean 4.27. At least The Comodo products are always updating. Spybot S&D, CCleaner and the latest Defraggler, both are www(dot)piriform(dot)com. They both have "check for updates" on them leaving me with one to keep an eye on. Darrell L. [was darclew3]

Collapse -
Hi, Darrell. You Should Be
by tobeach / December 11, 2008 7:25 PM PST

seeing a major improvement about now. Myself, I keep all my protectors on "manual" update and just check all 1 T /day (about 10 minutes) then manually create a system restore point. Figure I'm then loaded for bear with an escape route and ready for the net.

'Tho'I still have my old favorites (AVG 7.5 AV & AS, S&D, AAW SE 1.6)all of which will soon die, I've come to really like Malwarebytes MBAM.exe for its speed of scan & update. I'm keeping SAS & updating it but it's so slow that I only use it when something really tough pops-up & for 1 scan per week. For my 2 drives it scans in 1 1/2+ hours (MBAM is 37 minutes).

I apologize for not recognizing your newest non de ploom, mea culpa, you've had it for awhile....Must be Mad Cow coming on!! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
Some good information you all give.
by blaze.s8n / December 12, 2008 2:02 AM PST

This june I bought a new laptop, and through download.com I got a my free security sorted...Zonealarm Firewall, Avast antivirus, plus Ad Aware 2008 and SpyBot.

I disc clean up, and defrag often. And run a scan from each program once a week. But recently, I've noticed a few wierd things, like screen freezing up on the internet, and it being a bit slow sometimes, but I thought that could be my connection. I have tried running an Ad Aware full scan a few times this week, and have one running right now, but as has happened everytime this week, it seems to be stuck as a certain point, and the running time is over 2 hours. It doesn't seem to be scanning anything...current object: scanning inside archive. No path. Everything has been running smoothly until this week when I downloaded some windows live msn hotmail whatever. Any ideas how to speed up or sort of refresh things?

Collapse -
This May Sound Discouraging But...
by tobeach / December 12, 2008 3:26 PM PST

'Tho' I don't have Adaware 2008,in the past, on many occasions I had symptoms just as you describe. In most of those occasions, it turned out to be some problem in the AAW update was the source. In the older version, I could solve it by system restore to day before last AAW update.
The problem usually vanished in the next update they put out. The newer AAW is much more complex & larger (by 5X) than the old so I would suspect the opportunity for such to be greater. One symptom
was AAW scan times went from 20 minutes to 1 hour & 20 minutes & response from other scanners (AVG/Spybot etc.) would ALSO be doubled or tripled.

Despite all the hoopla, I find the new live Hotmail to be LESS secure
than before "live" & have seen hangs when trying to leave site. I suspect they're still trying to hang onto my browser and re-direct to MSN when I sign out & click "Home" (about:blank). Possibly just trying to download/upload info from their cookies? On several occasions Spybot has found & ejected tracking ware from Hotmail shown as Mediaplex "APMEBF.com" which also seemed to have some bad side effects.

My new cable modem has a temp disconnect button which leaves LAN open but disconnects from web.
I found if I press that button as soon as I click Home, the hangs no longer occur. One of the Hotmail "hang" symptoms was my LAN connection to the net would freeze and refuse to disconnect (because it was still being held by MSN re-direct or uploads?).

Other possibilities exist beyond above. I would try disabling Adaware 2008 from start up for a few days and see if symptoms are the same.
Possible AAW doesn't like some off the Spybot features as they both try to take control of several "the same" areas.

I also suggest using CCleaner (free) to get rid of Internet Temp & other Temp & build up files as it only takes a few seconds to dump them soon as you leave net. See post #24 (of 47) re CCleaner for links:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=217212&start=15

I would also get (free) Malwarebytes MBAM. exe & install,update & run it as it is a good one to have & is quite quick:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=304328&messageID=2831556#2831556

If none of the above make a major change, you'd probably be best to start your OWN thread on remaining problems from front page to get more & varied input. This thread is deep enough many won't see your post in this thread. Good Luck!! Sandy Grin

Collapse -
blaze.s8n, check posts 7-2
by Darrell / December 12, 2008 8:54 PM PST

tobeach and DChrisL posts. The Comodo Internet Security has Antivirus and Firewall together. Comod's BOClean 4.27 is Anti-Malware & Spybot S&D 6.1.38 Beta is also Anti-Spyware [Anti-Malware] and they don't conflict - BOClean is active and Spybot is passive [ it has anti-virus in it also ].
tobeach has what I have CCleaner and the same people at piriform has a a good Defrag call Defraggler, better the my WINXP. Darrell

Collapse -
Thanks
by blaze.s8n / December 12, 2008 11:55 PM PST

I appreciate the replies and the suggestions. I am just running a HouseCall on line scan, as I did one yesterday and it showed that I had 6 infections from 180solutions, memwatcher and another I can't remember. I tried cleaning them so I am seeing if they are still being picked up.
I will be deleting Ad aware, (shame, I liked it, as it was easy) as I think the infections are from an update, plus it conflicts. I will be getting MBAM and checking the other things you mentioned.

You're a real big help. Ta!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the update blaze_s8n. Darrell
by Darrell / December 13, 2008 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?