Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll

I've been having a problem not being able to access anything java related through IE for a while now even though everything seems checked properly in Internet Tool Options.

I run Windows 98SE and use IE 6.

Following suggestions from different people, I went into the Add/Remove, clicked on IE to uninstall, checked the repair option, and got a box saying that my KERNEL32.DLL file couldn't be repaired. It needed to be greater than V5.1.0.5010 and it wasn't. I also saw something that said all components of IE could not be installed because of this.

I searched around online trying to find something on it, but I don't understand so much of the computer lingo and I get lost. I did find something suggesting I go into the System File Checker. When I did that, I came up with a corrupted file, setupx.dll. In searching online, I couldn't find a way to fix that one either!

Now it has been suggested to me to reinstall Windows 98SE over top of the Windows 98SE program that I'm already running. I'm not certain I can actually do it properly, but I'm willing to try figuring that the worst that could happen is that I will totally crash and have to take it to a tech to do the job for me.

Although I'm on the computer often for play and work, I don't have a vast knowledge or understanding of the inner workings at all so please don't reply in computer-ese.....it makes my head hurt trying to figure it out. I think I'm just too old to learn computers, but I keep trying. 8-)

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer and for your time.

Hapslappy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll

In reply to: Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll

Hi

I've been having a problem not being able to access anything java related through IE for a while now even though everything seems checked properly in Internet Tool Options.

Just a thought - how about installing Sun Java ??

Download J2SE v 1.4.2_04 JRE SDK
32-bit/64-bit for Windows/Linux/Solaris SPARC
32-bit for Solaris x86

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll

In reply to: Re:Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll

Thanks, Marianna. I did download from Sun, and tried both the online as well as the manual installation for Windows 98SE. My computer froze up pretty regularly, in fact, every time I tried to open anything java related, so I uninstalled them.

Should I assume then, that the .dll problems are not that big of a worry? I've become more concerned about them than not getting the java. Are the .dll files related to the java problem?

Maybe I'm over reacting? I though problems with .dll files were serious problems.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re:Re:Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll

HI Hapslappy

Have a look at this thread starting with:

"There are things to try that might help, but it's hard to say. It won't hurt anything
to try! Btw, Kernel32.dll is the core of the operating system. "

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/t1031644540

Hmm.... you are sure you do NOT have a virus??

maybe run an on-line scan??

http://housecall.antivirus.com/

http://www.pandasoftware.es/activescan/activescan-com.asp

Definition of Kernel32.dll Error Messages

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/windows/topics/errormsg/kbkern.asp

As to your: Corrupted Setupx.dll

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q231793

Collapse -
Re:Re:Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll

I went to annoyances.org and checked all of the things they discussed, ran the virus scan and found nothing, and read the references to my problematic .dll files. Thanks for all of those suggestions.

Then I ran a system file check and extracted the two .dll files that kept showing. I ran a system file check again and all was good to go! So I reinstalled IE to see if the java problem would be fixed, but it isn't.

I'm not sure if it's worth installing 98SE over again or not just for the java problem. Would using another internet browser be more of a sure thing and a simpler cure?

How safe is it to reinstall 98SE over top of itself?

Collapse -

In reply to: Problems with setupx.dll and KERNEL32.dll

1. The version number listed for a file is the minimum version required by IE. If no version number is associated with a file, the Repair tool verifies the existence of the file but not its version. In many, many, instances, you can save yourself some effort perhaps by ascertaining whether an updated copy of the required file is readily available and restore it to the system without having to reinstall. See if you already own a copy of some Microsoft media from which it can be extracted. Please read this article, "Definition and Explanation of a .DLL file." Afterwards, determine whether the x.DLL file was issued by MS and you have a copy, then extract it. Access the "DLL Help Database", enter the file name -- including extension in the space provided, and then press Enter. A list of issued DLL files will be rendered if it is a Microsoft issue (correct spelling and punctuation is recommended). If found, determine whether you have the necessary media available, and "Extract Original Compressed Windows Files (Q129605)." Be advised however, this process isn't going to do you any good if the stated dll files are not on your computer or on the media you have.

2. Are files available in the Windows\VCM folder if an inplace Setup for Windows was run? The article "Q186157" describes the Version Conflict Manager tool (Vcmui.exe) included in Windows 98.

Collapse -
I'm developing a love/hate with the tech side of computers. :-)

I found the correct media and extracted the files! I got excited about that and even though it doesn't seem to have changed anything, I'm learning a lot from this.

I'm assuming then, that I need to reinstall. Not looking forward to that, but I've gotta do what I've gotta do. When I do, I think I'll start using another brower other than IE. I know that I also need to install more memory, something I know nothing about, but that will have to be in another thread which means you haven't seen the last of me here.

Thank you for your help. I have no idea how long this forum has been in place, but I wish I'd found it a long time ago. It's a great place to come for info.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.