Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problems with screen on start up

by Finnigan17 / January 7, 2010 6:13 AM PST

I have a Toshiba Satellite P100 that is about 3 1/2 years old running Windows XP. I have noticed a strange problem recently. When I start up my computer the screen is black for the Toshiba and Windows splash screens but once it finishes starting up I can see the Windows Login screen just fine. Everything else on the computer is running perfectly but I am concerned this is an indication of an unseen problem to come/ a virus of some sort. I tried to get into my BIOs but I can't because the screen remains black when I hold down the key. Any advice or information that anyone can assist me with would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with screen on start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with screen on start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try an external monitor
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 6:34 AM PST

It's possible it's set for the external to be the primary in the BIOS.

Collapse -
External Monitor
by Finnigan17 / January 7, 2010 6:51 AM PST

Thanks I don't have one on hand but I will borrow one from a friend and try that. Why would I be able to use my screen normally after the computer finishes starting up, though?

Collapse -
Because
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: External Monitor

That's how most windows video drivers work. They detect there is no monitor on the primary so they go to the secondary.

Collapse -
Oh I understand
by Finnigan17 / January 7, 2010 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: Because

Thanks that makes sense. Pardon my ignorance. I will try to get a hold of a monitor and try that.

Collapse -
No apology.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2010 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: Oh I understand

Somehow I think I interrupted your moment of bliss but hope that it's the usual for everyone's sake.

Collapse -
Still having the problem
by Finnigan17 / January 10, 2010 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: No apology.

Unfortunately when I plugged in the external monitor it didn't work so I don't think this was the problem. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you.

Collapse -
Possible reset
by coastie65 / January 10, 2010 4:55 AM PST

Sounds to me like the BiOS needs to be reset for whatever reason. In a Desktop that just involves shutting down, removing the power cable and removing the CMOS battery ( some have jumpers as well) and waiting 5 mins then putting the battery back in and restarting. As for a Lappy, it may be the same, but I couldn't begin to tell you how to get to the battery in one of those.

Collapse -
Hm
by Finnigan17 / January 10, 2010 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: Possible reset

I don't know how to do that on a laptop but I updated the BIOs and I still can't see it.

Collapse -
The reset for some is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2010 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: Hm
Collapse -
That worked!
by Finnigan17 / January 10, 2010 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: The reset for some is

Thank you very much! I really appreciate everyone's help. If you don't mind explaining to me the nature of the problem and why that worked so I can prevent it next time? I would be double as grateful.

Thank you again!

Collapse -
Sigh
by Finnigan17 / January 10, 2010 3:47 PM PST
In reply to: That worked!

It worked for a couple of hours but the problem returned and the restart fix doesn't work anymore. Does anyone have another idea? Could it be a hardware issue? A virus? Sad

Thanks as always. I am not knowledgeable but I do want to learn.

Collapse -
Is this worth a call.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2010 10:34 PM PST
In reply to: Sigh

At this point unless I get to see the machine to look at all the BIOS settings and more, I'm out of ideas but it appears the machine works after booting.

Is it worth calling the maker to ask about it?

I will share that we don't fix such things because of the costs. That is, it is too likely to be a motherboard issue but the fact it runs fine after windows boots means most will not pay that much to fix something they don't use.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?