Samsung forum

General discussion

Problems with Samsung LN40C610 from Future Shop

by DieShinzo / May 11, 2010 3:10 AM PDT

I just purchased a Samsung 40" LCD w/ 120Hz Auto Motion (model LN40C610) from Future Shop. The first set I got was obviously defective with numerous problems. I returned that one and got another identical set. There are no obvious defects as best I can tell, but to be completely honest, I think the picture on this TV is crap. I have an Xbox 360 Elite and a PS3 hooked up to it via HDMI. The Blu-Ray playback on the PS3 is pretty decent with no noticeable quality issues, however, watching DVDs and playing games on the PS3 and the 360 (at 1080p w/ Auto Motion on) is pretty bad. There is a lot of blur, fragmenting (especially on the 360) and other display issues. I've tried numerous games, multiple HDMI cables, tried plugging the TV directly into the wall, then into a power bar, etc. Pretty much everything I can think of to resolve the issue, or at least identify the source of the problem. I'm very disappointed with this television considering I already have a 120 Hz 46" Samsung that's about a year and a half old, and it smokes this one in terms of picture quality. I'm thinking of returning this one as well and going with a completely different model, however, I'd like to stick with Samsung as my experience, and friends experiences with them, has been unblemished up until now. My concern is that it's the Auto Motion that's the problem. I'm open to any suggestions on how to improve the picture quality on the set I have now, but I'd also like some recommendations on other 40" LCD TVs that I could consider as an alternative. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Samsung LN40C610 from Future Shop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Samsung LN40C610 from Future Shop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Problems with Samsung LN40C610 from Future Shop
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 11, 2010 2:38 PM PDT

DieShinzo,

Have you tried turning OFF the AutoMotionPlus processing, and changing the name of the input from "----" to "GAME" mode?

With DVDs, there is bound to be some artifacting, since you're essentially taking a 480 resolution picture and upconverting it to 1080p. Particularly with fast motions, this is going to cause some image distortion in fast movement, but the Blu-Ray quality shouldn't suffer when a 1080p signal is coming in.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Re: Problems with Samsung LN40C610
by DieShinzo / May 11, 2010 11:27 PM PDT

I've tried turning off the Auto Motion, used custom settings, etc. I didn't see any Game Mode listed in any of the menus, but I'll take another look. What exactly does Game Mode do? I spent another 2 or 3 hours playing with the settings last night and comparing the picture to my 1.5 - 2 year old 46" Samsung set which also has Auto Motion. There is a significant difference in picture quality. Bluray playback on my PS3 and playing games on my Xbox 360 look much better on the 46" than the 40". Just for the record, I will be primarily using my Xbox 360 with this television. If there are any tips you can suggest to achieve the best results using a 360 I'd like to hear them. Another question: on the Samsung website it says this television has a 120,000:1 contrast ratio, while all literature from Future Shop (and Best Buy for that matter) say it has an 80,000:1 ratio. Is this an error or is there another explanation? Anyways, I'm going to play around with it some more tonight to see if I can resolve these issues before I return it to the store. I don't mean to make out like this set is a wash, it's just not living up to my expectations so far. Thanks for your response.

Collapse -
Re: Problems with Samsung LN40C610
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 12, 2010 5:00 PM PDT

DieShinzo,

Not all sets have Game Mode. It reduces some additional processing that might cause a delay that other signals wouldn't necessarily suffer from. I'm not sure if all models have that, I'd have to check the manual.

If you're not able to find settings that work for your specific model, you might try searching out the model at CNet's HDTV Picture Settings Forum:
http://forums.cnet.com/hdtv-picture-settings-forum/

But if that still doesn't work out, do what makes you happiest. Not every product meets every need, and I hope you'll consider us in the future if that's what happens.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.