Samsung forum

General discussion

Problems with Samsung LN40A630 and LN40A650 & Cable Box

by cgoldste / December 14, 2008 1:21 AM PST

I have a Scientific Atlanta HDTV Explorer 8240HDC cable box from Time Warner Cable, which I just picked up a few days ago when I purchased a Samsung LN40A650 LCD tv. When I connected this cable box to the tv, a number 2 surrounded by a black shaded box appeared on the upper-right side of the screen on every channel. I tried using my Monster Ultra 1000 HDMI cable and the composite cables provided by TW cable, but I was unable to get rid of the number 2 and shaded box.

I then called Samsung and they told me that this was a "known issue" and that there is no fix at this time. I then asked if this was just a problem with the Samsung 650 series. I was told that this issue had been reported for the 550, 650, and 750 series.

In light of this information, I returned by 650 and purchased the LN40A630. Unfortunately, the same exact problem occurred when I hooked up the 630 to the cable box.

When I returned the 630 to the store, the manager said that he had never heard of this problem occurring before, and that he had sold over 1,200 630s and 650s, so the problem MUST be with the cable box.

When I called Samsung back, they said that they couldn't guarantee that a different cable box would resolve the problem, but that I could try doing this to see if it would work. I simply can't continue to run around town buying expensive tvs to "see" if I can get them to work with my cable box. Most stores are charging a 15% restocking fee for opened boxes, and I don't feel I should have to take the risk of spending $140 to "see" if the Samsung tv I buy will work with a different cable box.

Please let me know what I can do about this. Should I simply stay away from Samsung all together and look at the Sony XBR6?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Samsung LN40A630 and LN40A650 & Cable Box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Samsung LN40A630 and LN40A650 & Cable Box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Solved at C|Net
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 14, 2008 4:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Issue Resolved!
by cgoldste / December 23, 2008 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: Solved at C|Net

Thank you so very much! You were absolutely right! Rebooting the cable box removed the channel 2 from the display! The other thing I did differently is that I did NOT go through the auto setup, which automatically tunes in the channels, since I wouldn't be using the tv tuner given that I was going through my HD cable tv box. I also made sure that I had the tv on before rebooting my cable box.

I truly appreciate your help with this!

Collapse -
Glad to help!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 24, 2008 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: Issue Resolved!

And a Happy Holiday season to you! Happy

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?