Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problems with Registrybooster and Driverscanner from Uniblue

by tammyhubbard / November 4, 2009 6:58 AM PST

I got a failure to initialize properly app error for sndvol32.exe so I googled for an answer and got a link to driverscanner from Uniblue which said it was recommended by cnet and other sites. I paid for and downloaded the software and it updated my realtek 97 driver. Then I got an app error for alcxmnter.exe after rebooting my computer. So I then googled for an answer to this problem and it sent me to a link to get registrybooster from Uniblue which was also reviewed well so I paid for and downloaded it. It did not fix the problem.
I e-mailed tech support at Uniblue and neither of the computer problems are fixed because I have received conflicting advice from two different support people so I haven't done what they said.
I was also overcharged for the software because they had an advertised special for powersuite which included both programs plus others but I didn't get linked to it even though both softwares have a link button to powersuite in them.
I e-mailed them about all the issues including the cost and to let them know I am getting conflicting advice from them and I still haven't received a response. Hope all this is clear to understand.
Has anyone else had trouble with this company and does anyone know how to fix the app errors I'm getting? alcxmntr.exe and sndvol32.exe fail to initialize properly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Registrybooster and Driverscanner from Uniblue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Registrybooster and Driverscanner from Uniblue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Update Your Sound Driver From The Realtek Site
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 7:16 AM PST

Both files are associated with your sound card, probably a Realtek AC97 device, and hopefully updating your driver with the correct driver should fix the problem. If it does not, then roll back your driver from within the Device Manager to your previous working driver.

As to the other programs you downloaded, I would remove them from the computer as neither one is a required program.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Updating the driver
by tammyhubbard / November 4, 2009 9:42 AM PST

I did check into this but the realtek website said to use the device manager to update the driver first so I did. It did not solve either problem so I checked the MS Windows website and it recommends using my system backup disk and reloading the sndvol32.exe file because it's most likely corrupted. Do you agree with this. I'm not sure if rolling back will work because the driver has been updated now several times and I'm not sure what backup to use. What do you think? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Using Device Manager To Update Drivers Doesn't Work...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 4, 2009 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: Updating the driver

Clicking on the "Update Driver" option simply causes the computer to search its own files and possibly the internet but the computer doesn't know where to look so nothing is ever found.. As I mentioned earlier, you have to SEARCH the RealTek site for an appropriate driver.

And yes, reloading the sndvol32.exe file will fix the problem IF the file is corrupt.. You'll probably need a Windows CD to replace the file or sometimes, you can find the good original file in the I386 folder on your computer. I've got the file in my I386 folder on this XP PRO SP3 machine that could be "Expanded" over to replace the current one. Running "System File Checker" will usually do the job as well.. Google how to do that.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Using Device Manager To Update Drivers Doesn't Work...
by tammyhubbard / November 4, 2009 12:18 PM PST

Thanks Grif. I'll give this a try.
th

Collapse -
Live and learn
by Jimmy Greystone / November 4, 2009 7:31 AM PST

Live and learn, because basically you just bought two completely worthless programs. The registry program will actually be more likely to CAUSE problems than fix them or anything else.

Collapse -
Live and learn
by tammyhubbard / November 4, 2009 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: Live and learn

Yea. It's sucks to be me right now since I also downloaded a different registry program before registrybooster. It however didn't cause the alcxmntr.exe problem, it just didn't fix the sndvol32.exe problem either. I guess I should get rid of it also and try to pursue a refund for it as well. I got sucked in on all these programs because cnet and majorgeeks rated them well. So I thought I'd done my homework first, guess it wasn't good enough though. Thanks for the support.
th

Collapse -
What about RegDefense?
by tammyhubbard / November 4, 2009 10:03 AM PST
In reply to: Live and learn

I was wondering if RegDefense is also a bad program because I also purchased it since it was rated as the best on cnets website comparison of registry programs. Should I also get rid of it and pursue a refund?
th

Collapse -
If You Read The Posts In This Thread....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: What about RegDefense?

Hopefully you are getting a feeling that ANY registry cleaner isn't worth paying money for simply because they really don't help performance like they claim.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
One born every minute
by Jimmy Greystone / November 5, 2009 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: What about RegDefense?

One born every minute is a phrase that comes to mind often when you hear people talk about how great these programs are. Right up until they render your system unbootable.

To put it pretty bluntly, there are a LOT of stupid people out there who will believe just about anything you tell them. Lots of people who fancy themselves some kind of computer whiz, but really are barely past turning the computer on in terms of skill. You've now risen above that by recognizing that just because something is highly rated by stupid people, doesn't mean it's a good program.

Good luck with the refund efforts, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if you meet with no success. Still, your education came far cheaper than some, so you can at least take solace in that.

Collapse -
Software Refunds
by tammyhubbard / November 6, 2009 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: One born every minute

I'm happy to reply that I have been successful and getting refunds for the all software I downloaded. Thanks everyone for your help and support. I will post later with my system info to get help resolving the computer issues that are still left behind from this situation. To tired right now.
th

Collapse -
Problem new version UniBlue RegistryBooster
by aroma01 / August 10, 2010 9:31 PM PDT

I have Uniblue's RegistryBooster 2008 version and installed it on a new computer. I scanned and fixed 3 system related errors. All of a sudden I get an update notification and installed version 2010. After scanning it gave over 2.300 system related errors. That is absurd, because the 2008 version apparently missed out thousands of such errors. Was the product that bad? Or has my computer gone bazurk within a few days? I don't dare to fix the "errors", afraid of having to reinstall the system afterwards. Uniblue gives no answer to the problem other than something like 'a possible solution is: run the fixes'! And of course pay for another year's technical assitance.
Anybody similar experience?

Collapse -
Sadly
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 10, 2010 9:40 PM PDT

Sadly these forums are littered with such posts about Uniblue products.

It seems they are adept at getting us to part with our hard earned money for software that is, 'not up to the job'.

It is sad they they still manage to find those of us willing to take that risk.

Mark

Collapse -
by aroma01 / August 10, 2010 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Sadly

Do you have a better solution? Just calling others not to be the very bright ones like yourself is not very helpful enough....

Collapse -
Yes.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 10, 2010 9:54 PM PDT

Don't use them.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but we get so frustrated by the reports we see in these forums and the cries for help where people have used these 'Optimisers' and 'Registry cleaners/defraggers' and have ended up with unworkable operating systems. Frustrated because there is little we can do against these rogue software companies except keep plugging the message.

Frankly, for the inexperienced user these utilities are dangerous. The experienced user doesn't need them. It is a contrary that is difficult to resolve.

Mark

Collapse -
by aroma01 / August 10, 2010 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

Thanks Mark

Collapse -
Uniblue Driverscanner 2009 error 302
by xdemolition / September 7, 2010 9:42 AM PDT

I let uniblue scan my computer and found 4 results of 4 out dated drivers that need to be installed.I click download driver and it says Error 302:There is a problem downloading driver updates.Please check your Internet or try again later HTTP error 404, for url:

Collapse -
And my queston would be
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 7, 2010 8:26 PM PDT

do these drivers need updating?

Put it another way, is your system working as it should even with the 'outdated' drivers this utility says needs updating?

If so, why update them?

There is a general rule regarding drivers, if they are working, don't mess with them.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?