HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Problems with PIP on dual tuner tv

by rjm_27 / October 9, 2007 1:19 AM PDT

I'm trying to set up PIP on my tv, Hitachi 50VG825 rear projection. The TV has a dual tuner so it can do the PIP on it's own via the various inputs and cable/air connections however it's not working the way I would think it should be. I'm hooking up my laptop (via a s-video cable out of the laptop converted to an RCA connection and then connected to the TV and it seems to work fine except when I try to do the PIP to watch the cable on one window and in the other surf the web. The coax is coming into the HD STB and then out via the HDMI connection. Anyone have any insight on why the PIP isn't working the way I'm expecting it to? I've looked into the manual to see what it said about PIP but it was a bit confusing. It said the following:

This Two Tuner feature allows you to view antenna inputs on both the main and sub picture simultaneously, with separate tuning control for each. When a Digital channel is viewed in the main picture the Digital channel can not be viewed in the sub picture. And when the Analog channel input is viewed in the main picture, the Analog channel input can not be viewed in the sub picture.

Can someone clear this up for me???? Especially since I'm using the HDMI instead of a standard RCA connection I'm pretty confused.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with PIP on dual tuner tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with PIP on dual tuner tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the TV itself (without the PC hookup) display PIP?
by NM_Bill / October 9, 2007 4:13 PM PDT

Yes, the set itself has two tuners so it can have the PIP feature.

When you hookup your unspecified PC you have introduced an entire host of possible problems. Though Macs are generally considered more a piece of cake than generic PCs as Apple has included user friendly software to do so.

The TV has the dual view capability, but evidently your PC does not. Perhaps you must have the PC doing either the TV picture or PC controlled blank screen, but not both.

I'm not the one up to this, but specify more detail.

Collapse -
I have a Sony but it works fine on mine.
by RustyDallas / October 9, 2007 9:41 PM PDT

I have a DVI to HDMI running straight from my computer to my TV. I also have my DVD running through my receiver and into the other HDMI in on my TV. Then I have the cable split when it comes out of the wall with one running into the RF plug on the back of my TV and the other running to my cable box that then goes to my receiver. I can use my PIP to do any combination of my devices and use both windows. I do have to set my graphics card to "clone" to get the picture to my TV and computer screen at the same time.

Don't know if any of that helps. Just putting it out there for ideas.

Rusty

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.