Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Problems with Outlook Express

Can?t create an email account on Outlook Express.
Trying to help my brother on his computer. This problem may have started when he got an email from Hotmail asking him to verifly info by clicking on a message to www.hotmail.msn.com, but we could not make the link work. For whatever reason I keep getting an error message when we try and ?send? an email. ?Access to the account was denied. Verify that your username and password are correct. Account: ?Hotmail?, Server: ?http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp?, Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: ?Forbidden?, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC33
Since I could not seem to solve this problem, I decided to create a ?new? email account. Now I get a different error message: Unable to poll for new messages on your HTTP server. Account: ?Hotmail?, Server: ?http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp?, Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: ?Invalid login.?, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC32 This message shows up after it repeatedly asks you to log in and you do so.
My brothers setup is Win XP home, SP2, Outlook Express email client. Ran Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware SE, Microsoft Anti-spy ware Beta, AVG7. His Yahoo email account works OK.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Eddie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Outlook Express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Outlook Express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No problem with OE.

In reply to: Problems with Outlook Express

Your post shows that OE is working fine. But can't work with Hotmail.

I'll be short about this. Hotmail has undergone many changes and due to spam and other pressures has been cutting off access from OE and such.

This may be how it is and not a bug in OE but a change in service from Hotmail. Also, Hotmail goes down from hours to weeks.

Bob

Collapse -
Go to

Collapse -
Finally, Got it to work!

In reply to: Go to

Tried to create a new account with Hotmail, didn't work, as per Bob's caution. Tried to setup an OE with his ISP, Juno dial up, for whatever reason, still would not work, kept asking me to sign in, and then telling me that password was no good. Finally, was able to sign in with Hotmail via their other login, not thru OE. After that, reinstalled Hotmail via OE and now it works. The only reason this was important to him, and to me for that matter, is that from time to time we cannot send attachments thru our Yahoo accounts, and it is 'never' an issue with OE. Don't know why I could not get his pop.juno.com to work but at least his Outlook Express/Hotmail account now works.Thanks for your help guys.
Eddie

Collapse -
HERE IS THE ANSWER Error Number: 0x800CCC32 -HOTMAIL OR MSN-

OPEN YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER
GO TO TOOLS - CHOOSE INTERNET OPTIONS - GO TO SECURITE - CHOOSE INTERNET AND CUSTOM LEVEL :
1. SETTINGS / USER AUTHENTICATION / USER LOGON : PROMPT FOR USER NAME AND PASSWORD
2. RESET CUSTOM SETTINGS: MEDIUM.

GOOD MAILING

Collapse -
Thanks for suggestion

In reply to: HERE IS THE ANSWER Error Number: 0x800CCC32 -HOTMAIL OR MSN-

will check it out the next time I go to my brothers house.
Thanks again
Eddie

Collapse -
can't send email with outlook

I keep getting same error> 0x800cccf6, I can rec email but can't send. Any ideas?

Collapse -
You need to upgrade

In reply to: can't send email with outlook

If you log into Hotmail, go to Options, then Choose Upgrade. In this list you will see that you have to purchase yearly an update to Hotmail. Paying $19.95/year or $49.95 for Hotmail Outlook Live will get you checking Hotmail mail through Outlook. Otherwise there is no way to fix this error.

Collapse -
REG CONFIGURATION OF HOTMAIL IN OUTLOOK EXPRESS

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP

Collapse -
PROBLEMS WITH HOTMAIL

THANKS A LOT AGAIN

Collapse -
Outlook express, Hotmail and IE7 Beta 2

I am having the same problem after installing IE7 Beta 2 and the message received is the same.
Some solutions have been tried including security changes through the IE7 Internet Options.
I am using XP Pro with Antivirus, Firewall,Antispam from eTrust.
Thank You.
CT4ER

Collapse -
solving IE7 and outlook problem

In reply to: Outlook express, Hotmail and IE7 Beta 2

Collapse -
Alert: bogbog's solution works indeed to resolve that error

In reply to: solving IE7 and outlook problem

I just downloaded & installed the MS upgrade to fix this problem. The upgrade info mentions at that this error tends to occur following upgrading to IE7 on a Win XP SP2 machine. Just what I had recently done. Amazing that such an important upgrade is so well buried in MS e-labyrinth! Thanks, Man.
- Roger Thomas

Collapse -
About Sign in problem

Thank you Bog, atlast that update patch worked for me. I was in a frustration got relief by your solution, again thnks a lot Bog

Collapse -
Works like a charm!!!

I had the same problem with my outlook trying to get my messages from hotmail. My email worked fine before installing SP2 on XP Pro. Seems that after the upgrade I started running into the problem. Anyways your solution worked great and thank you very much.

Collapse -
I spent a whole entire weekend......

In reply to: Works like a charm!!!

I wanted to send my huge thanks for the fix. I have literally spent the whole weekend trying to find out just how to get my hotmail plus account working through my outlook expres. Seems that it suddenly quit without a word and i pay for that subscribtion......Huge THANKS.

Collapse -
WORKS!!!

Microsoft already had a windows update that was supposed to fix this, & I put it on my computer a long time ago. This fix linked by BogBog says version 2!!!! This should be a CRITICAL update!!! Anyways, it worked, worked, worked!!!
By the way, on another computer that I just did a repair install, & then all the windows/microsoft updates, it was already working, but not on two other computers!!!
Thanx!

IMHO
isepiq

Collapse -
Thanks a million

Bog you da man. i never would have found this.

TY XOXOXO

Collapse -
This may help with your Hotmail/Outlook/Outlook Express Issu

I had the same problem and this is the reply I got from MSN.

Thank you for writing to MSN Hotmail Technical Support.

My name is Anette and I am responding to your issue on being unable to use Microsoft Outlook 2002 with your Hotmail account because you are prompted with an error message.

I completely understand how important it is for you to setup Microsoft Outlook 2002 with your Hotmail account. Don, MSN no longer supports the ability to access free MSN Hotmail accounts in email client programs such as Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express if:

- The account has not been previously set-up in an email client program.
- The account is recently created or new.
- The account has been reactivated.

This change was implemented in an effort to help protect you from junk email. Junk mail distributors (spammers) have been known to exploit MSN Hotmail accounts through Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express to send unwanted messages to MSN Hotmail customers as well as to other email users worldwide.

By making this feature available only as part of a subscription service, we can be more effective in helping protect our customers. Requiring customers to provide billing information would help us to prevent unsolicited email that MSN Hotmail members receive.

If you really want to configure your dfbrown21@hotmail.com account in Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express, you can choose to subscribe this account to one of MSN's subscribed services (such as Hotmail Plus or MSN Premium services). For more information, please visit:

http://join.msn.com/

Once you have subscribed to any of these services, here are links that can be helpful.

How to Configure Microsoft Outlook with Hotmail:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287424

OLEXP: How to Configure Outlook Express to Use a Hotmail Account:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;220852

We appreciate your understanding. You are valuable at MSN and we look forward to providing you with consistent and effective service.

Thank you for your continued support of MSN Hotmail.

Sincerely,

Anette A.
MSN Hotmail Technical Support

Collapse -
technical help for solving error 0x800ccc32

there is error in sending mail through outlook express

Collapse -
Solution to 0x800CCC32

In reply to: technical help for solving error 0x800ccc32

Classic advice from Jim Pickering:

1. Have the user verify that the web interface for HTTP mail is working.
2. If using OE6, verify that the settings in IE, Tools/Internet Options/Privacy tab allow the accepting of cookies and that 3rd party cookie manager programs are not installed.
3. Ensure that proxies are turned off.
4. If user has Office XP, can they receive Hotmail using Outlook rather than Express?
5. Try creating a new identity and set up a Hotmail account for that new identity and see if Hotmail can be downloaded.
6. Add msn.com and hotmail.com to the list of trusted sites in Internet Explorer.
7. If the user has access to another computer locally, can they create a hotmail account on that alternate computer and connect successfully.
8. The problem is with the user's computer settings in some area not well defined at the present time. Most other users connect to Hotmail via Outlook Express without problem so identifying the culprit will take lots of detective work.
9. Also try to determine if there is some commonality with an antivirus program from a single 10. Check in Internet Explorer under Tools/Internet Options/Security that the user has not changed the password setting from 'prompt for username and password' to 'anonymous logon' in internet zone. The option setting for anonymous logon may cause the error.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Collapse -
Solution to 0x800CCC32

In reply to: Solution to 0x800CCC32

I had this same problem, and discovered it was being caused by a programme called "Onspeed" that I had running. It was changing my connection settings in Internet Options from "automatically detect settings" to "use proxy server". I gather that Outlook Express cannot connect to Hotmail through a proxy server - hence the error 0x800CCC32.

Hope this information proves useful.

Collapse -
outlook express

i also had the same problems with outlook express.when i ad my computer running.i has windowsxp home edition.i found yahoo was the best one for me.of coursce since im only using msntv2 now i have to use msn.or any thig else will be very blurry that i cant read it.once in awhile i can get to my gmail accout on this but thats about it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.