HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Problems with Outlook Express

by Big Steve / October 22, 2007 5:59 PM PDT

I have a Dell notebook which has Windows Home XP and my email is Outlook Express. Last night while I was attempting to delete some old emails I couldn't continue deleting anything nor could I view stored emails in other folders but the following message appeared which I haven't seen before until last night.

MESSAGE COULD NOT BE DISPLAYED
OUTLOOK EXPRESS ENCOUNTERED AN UNEXPECTED PROBLEM WHILE DISPLAYING THIS MESSAGE. CHECK YOUR COMPUTER FOR LOW MEMORY OR LOW DISK SPACE AND TRY AGAIN.

Every week I also receive a Windows pop-up message asking me if I would like my emails to be compacted claiming that it's highly recommended that I do so and I go ahead and do so. Where would I check to see if my notebook is low on memory or disk space? Could having too many email folders as well as too many emails stored in those folders in my Outlook Express be causing this problem? Whenever this happens I have to close Outlook Express; shut my notebook down; power it back up before I can work in Outlook Express again.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
10/23/07

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with Outlook Express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with Outlook Express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Turn off message preview to delete that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2007 10:16 PM PDT

As a proof of concept I emailed someone an badly coded HTML message that crashes IE and OE. They didn't believe me until I sent it to them. Of course they needed to turn off preview to be able to delete it...

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Problems with Outlook Express
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 3:54 AM PDT

Steve..

If you experience no joy, after trying Bob's suggestion, you might want to read this thread. Also this one. Please note, because you have the same error message, does NOT necessarily mean you have the same problem. I'm only pointing it out as a possibility. Read the entire thread; the first one especially. At the very least, it's worth following the 'General OE Caveats' suggested by "PA Bear". You said you had to "shut your notebook down and power it back up before you can use OE again". Most experiencing the behavior in the above thread are able to close and open OE, then continue on for a while. Sometimes it take hours for the message to reappear.

" Could having too many email folders as well as too many emails stored in those folders in my Outlook Express be causing this problem?" Whether or not it's causing your problem, I don't know. I can only tell you, eventually it will cause a corruption problem, if your Store folder is too large.

Do you find the message appearing moreso, when trying to delete larger messages? Does it also appear, in a newly created identity? If so, I would again encourage you to read the first thread. If not, consider yourself lucky!

Carol

Collapse -
Re: Problems with Outlook Express
by Big Steve / October 23, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

Thank you for your post; I will certainly read those threads. As for what Bob said that went right over my head.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
10/23/07

Collapse -
"Turn off preview"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

Try that. If turning off preview is too technical, please tell me how I can rewrite it for all to understand.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob's suggestion is easier and more helpful..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 4:42 AM PDT

to say nothing about less time consuming. My suggestion was only a possibility and a remote one at that. When in doubt about OE, you can always go to Help>Contents and Index, if you don't understand something. Had I not known where it was, I would have looked under "Preview pane". Wink Google is also a great help. That said..... View>Layout>Preview Pane

Collapse -
Re: Bob's suggestion is easier and more helpful..
by Big Steve / October 23, 2007 6:15 AM PDT

Now we all know that everything Bob says always comes out sounding too technical for some of us; especially myself. If I was half as smart as Bob is I wouldn't have to come to this forum for assistance but I'm certainly glad that this forum is here because it has been very helpful to me in the past concerning questions I had concerning a wide range of computer related topics. Thanks again for your follow-up post.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
10/23/07

Collapse -
(NT) Were you able to 'turn off preview' pane?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 6:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Were you able to 'turn off preview' pane?
by Big Steve / October 23, 2007 7:06 AM PDT

Yes but explain to me why that will help my situation. When I turned off that preview pane it got rid of that lower window; all that was displayed were a list of my emails. By turning off that preview pane is that supposed to help prevent me from receiving anymore of those OE error messages? I guess Bob will have to answer that.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
10/23/07

Collapse -
It's part of our Security Forum tips.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

The preview pane allows "code" to execute that is in the email. By disabling the preview pane, the code in the email can't run and we can delete the bad email.

-> Someone should ask why Microsoft never fixes this one.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: It's part of our Security Forum tips.
by Big Steve / October 23, 2007 7:53 AM PDT

Thanks for explaining that for me.

Big Steve
Biloxi, Mississippi
10/23/07

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.