Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Problems with opening programs

Hey

I came home from my summervacation and decided to remove unused programs. So i uninstalled tons of programs. This made made my computer, in some way, **** up. There are some programs which i cant open, f.ex. iTunes, Firefox and all the standart games on microsoft such as Chess. Some of the programs are gone in some how, and i didnt accedently removed them aswell (why should i remove all my Adobe programs?). And others such as iTunes just says: "iTunes stopped working".

I've tryed to uninstall iTunes and install it again, but it didnt change a thing. I've also tryed to install some of the programs i uninstalled to see, if it removed some nesesary files - didnt work either.

Please help Grin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with opening programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with opening programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First things first...

In reply to: Problems with opening programs

Run a System Restore to a time prior to the changes you made. If that fails or cannot be done, note the error message (if any) there as well as exactly what's displayed when you try to launch programs such as Firefox. That one in particular should not be dependent upon any other installed software, so it's a good place to start looking for what happened.

John

Collapse -
still problems...

In reply to: First things first...

Thanks for your replay!

I cant restore the system back to time i made the changes.

What comes to the error messenges, is that are different. If we take Firefox nothing happens when i try to open it, not even a error message appears. If i try with iTunes it says: "The program stopped working". Some other programs such as the standard games on windows (chess and so on) have in some mystic way disappeared.

Collapse -
Might it be primarily a shortcut issue?

In reply to: still problems...

There have been some long threads on iTunes failing on Vista, so I would save that for last.

For the others, I wonder if it's just a case of missing/corrupt shortcuts. After trying to launch Firefox from a shortcut, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc and see if firefox.exe is listed on the Processes tab. Then browse to C:\Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox and launch Firefox directly from the executable found there, checking the Task Manager again to see if firefox.exe is running. Repeat for each of the games found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games.

Let us know what happens.
John

Collapse -
Seems like it aren't a shortcut issue...

In reply to: Might it be primarily a shortcut issue?

Hey

Thank for replaying once again Grin

I've tried what you said, without success. If i try to open Firefox from a shortcut or directly from C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox, nothing happens, not even on the Task Manager.
When i go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games all the maps are there, but when i open them, they are empty.

I appreciate your help so far! Please keep it coming Grin
Daniel

Collapse -
Re: programs not running/

In reply to: Seems like it aren't a shortcut issue...

If the folder in Program Files is empty, it's empty and gone. Reinstalling seems the way to go.

And I should install Firefox again also, after downloading the latest version from www.mozilla.org. It might be a good idea to delete the Firefox data from your profile data first, to be as clean as possible, but you'll lose your history and cookies and favorites then, so I would only do that if a simple install doesn't help.

Kees

Collapse -
:S

In reply to: Re: programs not running/

Hey

Thanks for the reply aswell Grin

So you are saying that i should do that with every single program on my computer? There are more than just Firefox that aren't working. Actually all programs but Safari and most of the Windows programs.

Collapse -
I'm not (yet) saying that.

In reply to: :S

But it should be a good start to just start.

Kees

Collapse -
Tried to uninstall

In reply to: I'm not (yet) saying that.

Ok I'm unable to uninstall Firefox :S It says that it might already have been removed, but i can find it in Program Files.

Daniel

Collapse -
(NT) No need to uninstall. Just install.

In reply to: Tried to uninstall

Collapse -
YAY!

In reply to: No need to uninstall. Just install.

I tried what you said, and now Firefox works Grin Thanks a million!!

Daniel

Collapse -
Hmm have i found a solution?

In reply to: Problems with opening programs

Collapse -
Maybe, maybe not.

In reply to: Hmm have i found a solution?

Depends on the cause. If the .exe file is gone, it won't help. If the .exe file is still there but the file association is corrupted, it might help. We don't know, because we can't look inside your system.

Kees

Collapse -
Hmm

In reply to: Maybe, maybe not.

Yeah, but if you read the comments they say something about they had lost their exe files and then it worked after using the fix'.

Daniel

Collapse -
baah

In reply to: Hmm

Well i tried the fixes on the link, but it didn't work. So I'll try something else Silly

Daniel

Collapse -
That's what I expected.

In reply to: baah

I'd start reinstalling everything now. Somehow, it got rather uninstalled, I'd say.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.