Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Problems with newly-built machine

by SgtRon / December 17, 2004 3:59 AM PST

Just built my first computer. Here's the specs: Asus K8V with Athlon 64 3000+, Seagate Barracuda 120GB SATA HDD, Mad Dog Dominator DVD/CD burner, Ultra 400Mhz 512MB memory (1 stick). No problem on first firing up and entering Setup. All Devices were detected. Fun began when I started loading WinXP. Received "Stop Error" message when I inserted Win98 CD for usual check of my qualifications. Message decoded as problem with RAM. Switched stick to another socket and also reset CMOS. Now I can't enter Setup or do anything else. At Power on or reset, it does the IDE scanning thing and still detects the HDDD, DVD/CD and floppy and then tells me "The BIOS is not installed". "Beep". Then a message "CMOS Checksum Bad" "F1 to run Setup or F2 to load default values and continue". Pressing either one does nothing. Any thoughts? Thanks
-Ron-

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with newly-built machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with newly-built machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ron, Did You Install The BIOS Drivers...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 17, 2004 11:57 AM PST

There should have been software with the motherboard. If not, you'll need to find the correct update that goes with Windows XP.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Problems with virgin machine
by SgtRon / December 17, 2004 10:21 PM PST

No, I didn't. And now nothing happens when I put the CD in the machine. (any CD) The CD activity light blinks for a few seconds but it appears the CDs aren't being read. Put the Asus CD in my other computer to see what was on it and didn't find a readme file or other help. I'd like to start over but at this point am unsure how to wipe everything clean. Good news is the computer still recognizes the HDD, CD/DVD, mobo, and memory during POST.
Hope someone has some ideas. Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
CMOS Checksum Bad thoughts
by billzhills / December 17, 2004 11:37 PM PST

Dumb question but has to be asked....
(been their, done that more than once)
Is the keyboard in the correct port and firmly seated?

Try holding down the Insert key on boot. This is suppost to return the BIOS to "safe" settings. See:
http://www.geocities.com/amd_info/A7N8X/a7n8xcmos.htm
not your board but close enough.....

See that you moved the memory stick to another slot
but I would try another stick that you know is good.
Suggest this due to error message.

Inspect the board for crowned or leaking capactors.
Also look at the flat silver rectangles for blisters. Have been told the blisters mean nothing but every bad board I've run into had blisters.

Not much but I hope it helps....

BIll

Collapse -
Reply to billzhills
by SgtRon / December 18, 2004 8:42 AM PST

Thanks for the input. The board is wireless and connected via USB. Don't have another stick to swap. Will check board as per your suggestions. Am almost ready to give up and take it to a repair facility. (oh horrors!!)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!