Desktops forum

General discussion

Problems with new motherboard.

by xxTERRORxx / November 10, 2005 1:25 AM PST

I've recently replaced what I thought to be a bad motherboard with a new MB MSI NF2|K7N2 Delta2-FSR motherboard. I am currently using a 200GB sata hard drive, an ATI Radeon 9200se, and a 1gb stick of ram. I'm running an Athlon XP 2200+ and a good cooling fan, I also have a DVD/CD-RW made by Sony plugged.

I hooked everything up, and booted with the Windows XP Professional CD in the cd drive. It booted and started loading the setup files, and right after it says "Setup is loading windows..." the computer sounds like it powers down, and I get the Blue Screen O' Death. The very screen that talks about "if this is the first time you've seen this message, check to see if newly installed .... etc"

Ive tried it many times. any suggestion why this is happening??? Any help would be very appreciated, any ideas as well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with new motherboard.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with new motherboard.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP Pro and ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2005 1:42 AM PST

XP Pro and your hardware is incompatible. The 200GB drive isn't supported till SP1, the SATA connections have to be added in during install and maybe the BIOS is out of date.

What else is missing is your power supply rating. Some try to get by with small units, with your list I'd like to see 450W as a minimum.

Too bad Microsoft has not updated that install CD in years.

Bob

Collapse -
Wel..
by xxTERRORxx / November 10, 2005 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: XP Pro and ...

I tried to use my ATA hard drives that I had been using before my motherboard went out, when i tried this I recieved one of two errors...

1. NTLDR is missing ( i know i need to refo to fix this)

2. NO SYSTEM DISK PRESENT PRESS ENTER, and I don't know why It wont work since there should be nothing wrong.

How would I install the SATA before I install windows?

Also I think my power supply isn't 450W, could that cause a blue screen?

Collapse -
That's a start.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2005 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Wel..

Double check your XP CD. If it's not SP1 or better, you will run into issues. Look up XP SLIPSTREAM on google.com if you need to create a better install CD. As to drivers, that's the F6 key and you feed the drivers to XP to get support.

An overtaxed power supply will of course add to the fun.

Bob

Collapse -
awesome
by xxTERRORxx / November 10, 2005 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: That's a start.

so, is there any way to rule out,

A. My Processor went bad
B. My video card went bad
C. I recieved a faulty motherboard, Ive always had goodluck with MSI boards.

I am going to get a 450 watt power supply anyway, I figured it was big enough since it has power connectors for sata drives.

Thanks for everyones help

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2005 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: awesome

My desktop got updated recently with some Athlon 64 3800+ and I put some 22 buck 680 Watt PSU from geeks.com on it. I see too many PSU issues that I would pop in bigger if I found one so cheap. While I don't believe it will deliver 680 for more than a second, it does cover any short term power gulps.

As to finding bad parts, that's fun. You put in good parts and if that cures it you found it.

However you never revealed if the BIOS was current, the XP CD was SP1 or SP2 and maybe all this is just not having current OS, BIOS and feeding it the drivers?

Bob

Collapse -
yeah
by xxTERRORxx / November 10, 2005 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

I'm currently at work and I will check when i get back to the house, I am sure the bios doesn't have the most recent drivers, and the xp pro cd I believe is SP2. I will try all this and let you know

Thanks alot

Collapse -
alright
by xxTERRORxx / November 10, 2005 9:56 PM PST

so i hooked my existing harddrive's up, 3 of them 1-200gb, 1-40gb and 1-60gb and started the machine. Windows shows the loading logo, than the screen blinks and my computer restarts, I booted while disabling restart on system error and I get a bluescreen. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Got juice?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2005 10:09 PM PST
In reply to: alright

My list remains:

1. Latest BIOS.
2. BIG MONSTER POWER SUPPLY.
or downsize till it works.
3. XP SP2 CD?
4. Feed it drivers during install.

Since I can't tell what was on the bluescreen, I can only comment that keeping clues to yourself slows us down.

Bob

Collapse -
Another approach
by VAPCMD / November 12, 2005 1:13 PM PST

My suggestion, reduce periperhals to the minimum ... try it with just the HDD, floppy and CD-ROM then try loading the OS with just the 60GB HDD. You can add the other peripherals later. If that doesn't work . . try another stick of rock solid RAM. Some times I've seen where it was necessary to wipe the HDD to get the OS to install.

Regards,
VAPCMD.

PS...Don't really think it's the PS unless you're you're really using an old POC. If you get another PS...take a look at NEWEGG.COM at the
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN ATX12V 450W Power Supply - Retail Model #: AX450-PN

Collapse -
winxp sucks
by surfthewebph / November 20, 2005 1:22 PM PST

it won't let you replace your motherboard. the microsoft website for windows xp tells you that if you want to upgrade your hardware, use the same motherboard.

Collapse -
only for OEM
by PKsteven / November 20, 2005 5:20 PM PST
In reply to: winxp sucks

Yes if you replace your motherboard, you may have to call in and get a confiramtion number and explain to whoever it is that you replaced your motherboard and you get (from what i heard some charge) another activation key. If what you were saying was true, I couldn't have installed xp on my other pc since it's a whole different system. Now, OEM the version that comes with your pc when you buy it, will not let you install another motherboard and use the OEM disk since it is bios marked and made only for yor system. You can upgrade your hardware though, which is exactly what you are saying. Microsoft has no liability for an OEM. You weren't specific as to why MS website was telling you this, my guess, OEM.

Paul

Collapse -
try this
by surfthewebph / November 21, 2005 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: only for OEM

making a clean install of winxp to a different system, is painles. i think the problem is he cannot boot to his windows xp when he replaced his motherboard. And he wishes to make it work without reformatting the hard drive, making a clean install and installing all of the application softwares again.

as far as i know, in real life, it is not possible to make an existing xp work on a new motherboard, unless the motherboard uses the same chipsets. although, there are several tips that were written on how to do this, none of them actually works.

I just couldn't find the microsoft page that advises you to put back the same motherboard or replace it with one that has a similar chipset.

But try this one:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm and tell me if it works.

Collapse -
Now you make sense...
by PKsteven / November 21, 2005 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: try this

Now you put what you meant into clarity, on your other post it simply sounded as if you couldn't install xp on your system if replacing the motherboard, which I knew isn't true since I have a new MB. No it's not likely that he can use his installed OS currently on his drive and I agree, his drive needs to be wiped out and start new.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?