Laptops forum

General discussion

Problems with my new Sony Vaio laptop

by Spops23 / November 28, 2009 3:10 PM PST

Hey Guys,

I was one of those idiots who stood in line at Best Buy for 12 hours to purchase a laptop on Black Friday. I picked up the Sony with Blu Ray player. It is Model number: VGN-NW265F

I seem to be having some problems with it and am not sure what to do...

The ad had stated that it had 4 hours of battery life. I knew that I would not get 4 hours, but I thought I would get 3 - 3.5 hours. I have tried to use every single power saving option that I can find in Windows 7. But the most I can get out of the battery is 2 hours. that is just not enough battery life.

The speakers also sound like crap. They are very tinny, and I hear a little bit of crackling sound coming from them.

I have also been searching for ways to calibrate the colors of my display but can't seem to find any. The display almost looks washed out. When I have the laptop hooked up to my TV via HDMI you can see a HUGE difference in the way the two look.

At this point I am not sure what to do. Do I take the laptop into Best Buy and have them look at it, or do I call up Sony?

Honestly I just really expected more from a Sony laptop. That is why I went with this laptop over the HP.

Help me out please...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with my new Sony Vaio laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with my new Sony Vaio laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same idiot here... spent 12 hours for sony chinese made crap
by beasty_ / November 28, 2009 7:55 PM PST

Yeah i got the cheaper version which was the VGN-NW235F white with no blue ray or hdmi port.

The battery only lasts for 2 full hours at a 100% charge. Since we are both having the same problem. I believe Best Buy posted a miss advertisement on purpose to snake our cash and time.

I will never deal with them ever again. It was on the front page of the f%$# Door buster page. How could they not know that it was a miss print!!!!!!!!!!!

We basically got screwed and lied to...

Collapse -
To get to that price.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 10:39 PM PST

1. The LCD won't be that good looking. It may be usable but not what you see for a few dollars more.

2. The battery life you read about is under IDEAL CONDITIONS. If you get half that, then you may be close to what is expected.

There is nothing to fix here. The lowest cost or door buster machines sound just like what you are asking about.

YOU had a choice to buy this. Why did you buy this? That is, did you test drive this machine ahead of time?
Bob

Collapse -
How could I...
by Spops23 / November 29, 2009 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: To get to that price.

There was no way to try out the laptop before I purchased it. Honestly it is almost like this laptop does not exist. You can't find any info about it anywhere.

Collapse -
That's the deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: How could I...

The model is a "special" made to hit a price point. Since you couldn't test drive it then you wouldn't know.

Why not return it and keep shopping? In most states you have consumer law that is 3 days of return privileges. Why keep it?

Collapse -
Restocking Fee
by Spops23 / November 29, 2009 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: That's the deal.

I believe Best Buy charges a 15% restocking fee. So for me to return it it will cost me around $90

Collapse -
Sony VAIO VGN-NW265F/B 15.5in Laptop 4GB/320GB/Blu-Ray/Windo
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Restocking Fee

Sony VAIO VGN-NW265F/B 15.5in Laptop 4GB/320GB/Blu-Ray/Windows 7 Home Premium $479.99 was what I read.

15% would be 72 bucks. The restock fee was not applied to sales tax, etc. And I've seen it waived when you apply it at the same day to a new unit.
Bob

Collapse -
Guess...
by Spops23 / November 29, 2009 1:49 AM PST

I will have to call up Best Buy and talk to them. On the phone with Sony now about it but they are giving me the run around. If Best Buy were to help me out and not charge me the restocking fee... The question would be what do I get?

Collapse -
At the top of
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Guess...
Collapse -
batteries...
by Spops23 / November 29, 2009 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: At the top of

Just curious, how can they rate battery life so high? I would just go and purchase an extended battery for this laptop, but I am sure that it would cost almost the price of the laptop.

Collapse -
Same story about miles per gallon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: batteries...

I can get close to the hours but I have to dim the screen, pull back on the clock rate, turn off wifi, etc. Not typical usage. Somewhere I bet a full article is there to read about that.

Collapse -
VGN-NW235F keeps FREEZING!!!
by emakhanov / January 9, 2010 3:36 PM PST

I just bought this laptop. and its been freezing maybe once every 2 hours. this is absolutely ridiculous as its a brand new laptop.

PLEASE HELP.

Steps I've taken:

Reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium completely.

Collapse -
You posted that already?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 9, 2010 9:07 PM PST

It's new so it's not your problem. Call it in. Let them fix it.

Collapse -
Problems with Sony VAIO laptop
by KayLennox / January 15, 2010 11:29 AM PST

I have a VAIO vgnfz240e. I bought it based on the raves by a good friend. My laptop is a complete dud. It runs so slowly I forget what I wanted to do by the time a program or website loads. Sony has already replaced both the hard drive and the motherboard. It still didn't work. It's been to the Geeks at Best Buy four times, with no improvement; to the Sony FACTORY twice -- NO improvement and I couldn't get anyone on the phone to discuss the problem with. It's also been to an independent shop; they say it runs "OK" but I can't get it to run they way it really should. I'm ready to turn it over to the Better Business Bureau of New York. That's where Sony's HQ is. I've had it with Sony. I will NEVER buy a Sony product again -- ESPECIALLY a computer. Hope your experience is better.

Collapse -
Just to compare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 2:33 AM PST

My son has the nw240f and it's running far better than his old machine. Mind you we are a techy bunch but out of the box, no complaints.
Bob

Collapse -
I see it. Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2010 2:34 AM PST

The nw240f came with twice the RAM and Windows 7. Vista will go down as a dud.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?