Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problems with my computer

by mikey215 / August 29, 2008 5:14 PM PDT

I am having a lot of problems with my computer and I?m not sure if one thing that is causing it or if it is a number of problems. The first problem I noticed is when I tried to start Windows media player 11 I would click on the shortcut and the hourglass pops up and nothing happens after that so I waited and left it over night and still nothing. So I uninstalled WMP11 and it told me I had to roll it back to WMP10 so I did. I restarted then tried to open WMP10 and a message came up saying something was wrong with WMP and click ok to fix it so I did all it did was upgrade back to WMP11 and I got the same problem it wouldn?t open. So I go in add and remove programs and roll back WMP11 to WMP10 then uninstall WMP10 then install WMP11 and still the same problem. Next I tried to do a system restore but system restore will not open. I checked to see if other stuff will open like defrag and it did. So now I have WMP11 not opening and system restore not opening even in ?safe mode?. I run Norton it finds nothing and I run Spybot S&D it finds nothing.
So now I?m thinking maybe I should try to run windows update I open IE (which I don?t ever use since I have Mozilla Firefox) and I notice the page was showing up blank. I browsed some websites and tried to run the Microsoft OneCare Tune-up thing and there was no button. I go to YouTube and the videos are not there just a black space and no warning about needing flash player (which I knew I already had). No flash content was showing up I tried to go to the adobe website and download the latest flash player and the download window wouldn?t pop up. Now I don?t even know where to start I have run out of ideas please help me. I?m thinking of doing a full store but I don?t have anywhere to back up my 200+ gig of data. Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problems with my computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problems with my computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just Somewhere to Start..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 8:27 AM PDT

Because it could be malware related, please follow the steps below to run a different tool:

Please follow the instructions below to download and run the free Malwarebytes spyware removal program. Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the link below:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process,if asked to restart the computer,please do so immediately.

Hope this helps and let us know your results.

Grif

Collapse -
here is the log
by mikey215 / September 1, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

It found 3 things and got rid of them but the problem is still there. Here is the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.25
Database version: 1103
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

5:34:55 PM 9/1/2008
mbam-log-09-01-2008 (17-34-55).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 336702
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 49 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 3

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.COMPUTER2007\Application Data\Desktopicon\eBayShortcuts.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{2DDCC20F-837D-4DFF-8A82-0E366B1E2129}\RP12\A0003695.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\windows.bat (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Collapse -
What Problem?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 3:01 PM PDT
In reply to: here is the log

If it's just a YouTube issue, try uninstalling the old Flash and reinstalling the newest version..

Have you tried updating your Java and Windows Script versions?

If it's still a WMP issue, try a different player such as WinAmp, or something else.

And you need to backup your 200 GB of data before restoring the computer, purchase a backup drive of at least 200 GB. Not having such a backup is asking for unhappy times.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
restore problem
by Amos16 / September 2, 2008 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: here is the log

Hi - there is a malware problem that everyone seems to ignore: BEFORE removing malware disable system restore, enable it immediately after successful removal. If you skip this step, the malware will still be there in one of the restore items, and as soon as you restart your computer - safe or not - it will find its way back. Hope this helps - Amos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?