General discussion

Problems with logging on the network

Just recently about 12 of my users out of 85 have been having problems logging on to the network. They are given a winlogon error and are made to log in as a default user which of course changes their desktop, data, Outlook etc. I have scanned and rescanned the machines but am not coming up with trojans or viruses. What could be creating the problem. Our PDC is an NT4 machine and so is out BDC. We are going to update those machines soon.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Problems with logging on the network
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problems with logging on the network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Did you?

Check that the IP addresses and such work?

The NT4 server while interesting is going to find you without support. Is this company going to run long if that server takes a hit from that unpatched exploit?
Bob

- Collapse -
IP addresses all work

I am going to upgrade from NT4 to Server 2003 and then go to Server 2008 R2. Obviously, you can't go from NT4 to Server 2008. Still not real sure how to go about all of this but will give it a try. I did create a new BDC NT4 and it was on our network for a short while but that was three weeks ago

- Collapse -
Ouch.

I recall that having a BDC then unplugging it to create havoc. This was when we had manuals and the phone number to MSFT support handy as nothing was ever easy enough to just click this and that and fix it.

I have to take your word that the IP assignments are working but a common failure is caused by that and someone installing a firewall on the clients. Even Norton can get in the way. Research your recent security changes.
bob

- Collapse -
thank you

That is probably what caused our problems. The BDC was only on for a short while and then pulled off. We've been having problems ever since. When one machine has the issue, I just disable the wireless or unplug the ethernet. I then sign on again as usual and then re-enable wireless or plug in the ethernet. This seems to help. Are you familiar with going from NT4 to Server 2003 and then up to 2008 R2?

- Collapse -
Yes but.

You're going to hate me but while I have experience on such I don't discuss it in the forums as it's outside the boundary I set for what I'll cover in this forum.

But the good news is that if you research this you find it well discussed. Besides a business should have a great IT person to accomplish this along with a DISASTER PLAN.

Let's say you know how to do the upgrade. Let's say your plan is perfect but something fails. This is where the disaster plan kicks in. I've lost count of companies that attempt such a move without a backup and without the disaster plan.

As to the wireless, unplug and ethernet that sounds like the old IP assignment issues.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info